Fifty-nine

It's been ages since I last peeked on Netflix, and oh . . . too many movies already. Being alone and bored, I decide to give myself the taste of my old life as a single woman.

"Well, let's check this one. It looks interesting," I mumble while lying comfortably on the bed, my eyes on the laptop.

My evening wears off in such a fashion, laughter and tears as my only companion as I get immersed into fictional characters and their emotional rides.

A knock at the door forces me to pause the third movie. "May I come in, Ma'am?"

It's Lisa's voice.

"Yeah, the door's open," I say loudly, pulling my lazy body sluggishly to sit up.

Lisa doesn't come in, so I lazily get up and pace towards the door, yawning.

"What is it?" I ask after swinging the door open, staring at the young blonde who is surprisingly overdressed and baked beautifully with makeup on her face. "Wow. You look great!" I tell her.

Lisa flushes. "Oh, thank you, Ma'am. Um, would you like your dinner to be served right now? It's just . . . Well . . . I was saying that . . ." she stammers while toying with her fingers. "I mean, is it okay if . . . Well . . ."

"Lisa!" I snap with a brief chuckle, interrupting her unsettling moves. "Do you want to leave right now?" I quiz, for she's showing all the signs of being ready to go on a date or something.

Dressed up in a pretty red dress and black flats, her blonde hair no longer in pigtails, she surely looks more beautiful than usual.

"Yes, Ma'am!" Lisa answers fast, standing straight. "Can I? I really, really, really need to meet my boyfriend tonight."

Oh? I smile faintly, trying to refrain from putting her into a more embarrassing state than she already is at the moment. She's cute, honestly.

"You can go," I tell her after a sigh. "And don't bother about dinner; I'll serve myself if I get hungry."

"Aw, thank you, ma'am! You're the sweetest." Lisa looks enthralled, excited even, almost ready to pull me for a hug, but she decides against it. She clears her throat and says, "Um, will you be okay on your own?"

"I will be. Don't worry," I reply with a tight smile.

"Okay, I'll see you tomorrow then? Good evening, Ma'am."

"To you, too, Lisa. Take care," I reply and she nods.

Throwing me a quick smile, she jogs towards the stairs and barrels down like an overly excited child. It's so good to be in love, huh? At times I wish I had those escapades during my teenage years. But it's not too late, is it?

I blush when I think of all the sleazy stuff Liam does sometimes.

When Lisa departs I shut all the doors and check with the security guards to make sure everything is order. Indeed the house feels bigger than normal. I take a deep breath, feeling lonely, and slowly I ascend back into my bedroom.

The first thing I do is check on my phone so as to hear something from Liam.

"Oh, a message!" I grin upon finding Liam's text via WhatsApp.

I'm heading to my hotel. Will call you as soon as I settle in. And stop sulking, will you? You're always on my mind, Mrs. Darcy. Kisses!

[Received]

"Sulking?" I remark, chuckling like a fool.

Elated at last, I drop recklessly on the bed while typing him my reply.