Thirty-two

Our first night in Dubai has gone quite spectacularly.

Today my husband and I take advantage of the cool weather to do a little sightseeing. The sun hasn't awoken to its fullest as we exit our rental car. Liam drove himself and I learned that he's got an international driving license and quite a useful knowledge about this place. We don't really need a tour guide as he takes me places.

As for me, I'm drawn by the culture of this city, putting its natural beauty aside. The more we dive into the skirts of central Dubai, the more I get fascinated by the sight of men in white kandora dresses and talibans, and women in long dresses and hijab, speaking their own language as they proceed with their daily endeavors.

The streets are filled with local traders. Smiling, I walk side by side with Liam, who's breathtakingly dressed in a pair of denim shorts, white V-neck shirt, and a pair black sunglasses. As for me, my flora sundress and flat sandals make me feel sixteen in my own skin—abundant happiness adding much to it.

"I can't believe I'm in a place where they shot Mission Impossible!" I squeal in a low voice when I finally see the tallest building and tower in the world—Burj Khalifa.

Extremely tall, shining in alluring silver, this tower is quite a catch.

"Yes." Liam smiles heartily, enjoying the sight of my stunned eyes. "If it's the Ghost Protocol, they indeed used this place."

"Hmm. I'm impressed that you know the movie!"

"You think I'm a caveman, don't you?"

"No." I laugh loudly, and he frowns slightly. "Okay, I'm kidding."

He just smiles and rolls his eyes. We head inside the building, per Liam's lead. He's not a stranger, after all.

"Let's drop by the mall. I want to buy something," Liam says.

"There's one inside this place?" I ask, curious.

"A very big one." Liam grins, and he fancies treating me like a little girl.

Inside the Dubai Mall I fall in love with the boutiques. I've never found such a reasonable price in any shopping I've done in my life as in this place. It makes me want to buy everything I come across, which earns me a lot of teasing remarks from my husband.

"Baby, you can't buy too much stuff here," he says gently as I go through the racks of gorgeous dresses for the umpteenth time. "We'll do it after the honeymoon, okay?"

I pout a little and mutter, "Okay. But at least let me get a swimwear, and the dress I saw earlier, and . . . those camel milk chocolates you bought me yesterday, and—"

"Kira!" Liam laughs even more. "Fine. Buy anything, but make sure you can carry them in your suitcase."

I laugh along. Jeez, it's embarrassing but do I care? Not really, because he knows all about me now.

"Alright, I'll get a few more and we'll go," I mutter.

"Good. And use this card, please. And no arguments!" Saying this, Liam slides a card from his wallet.

Hesitantly I take it. Emirates NBD. As I read its contents I begin to wonder how many worldly bank cards he actually possesses. Do I want to know? Not really. I'm fine to be surprised.

"Are you going somewhere?" I ask him.

He nods his affirmation. "To the digital shop over there. Don't go anywhere; I'll be back in a few minutes." He gives me a soft kiss and I watch him heading toward a very large shop on the other side of the mall.

By the time we're back to the hotel, it's already dark. However, the smile on my face resembles nothing but the beautiful sunrise. Aside from our shopping—which was the best—Liam took me to the Dubai desert and for the first time I got to ride a camel. It was absolutely amazing.