Sixty-four

Liam looks like a five-years-old as he barrels down the stairs. "Mother?" he calls excitedly.

I take my time following behind him, a smile on my face. And, much to my joy as well, I see Eleanor swiveling her head around and glances back at her son. Her face freaks with happiness.

"She's here," I murmur.

"My son!" Eleanor squeaks and Liam pulls her into a heart-melting hug.

"Why didn't you say you were coming, huh? I could've picked you up." Liam is smiling gleefully at her.

"It wouldn't be a surprise if I told you, would it? So here I am, back to where my heart is," Eleanor replied matter-of-factly, her smile divided between happiness and longing.

I halt by the stairs, witnessing this lovely moment. Eleanor is still as beautiful as ever, and Liam is extremely happy to see her again.

"You look great," he tells her.

Eleanor flushes. "It's just some old jeans and boots, Liam. Recognize the coat, though? Your gift from my last birthday." She sounds proud as she analyzes her outfit.

"I hardly remember. Wasn't it blue?" Liam teases her.

"Rascal!" Eleanor slaps his arm and hugs him once more. As they pull back she asks, "Where is your wife? I seriously miss her."

"Um . . ." Liam starts but stops midway at my presence on the staircase.

"I'm right here." I wave at them.

"There she is." Liam shrugs as Eleanor giggles softly.

"I nearly thought he'd abandoned my daughter in some corner of the house," Eleanor says gracefully.

"Oh? So I'm the villain of the story all the time!" Liam laments.

I chuckle and mutter, "You're really here."

"Of course, honey. I'm finally here." Eleanor strides over and drags me into a bear hug. "Oh, I missed you two so much!" she rumbles and her mood attests her words.

She's so warm—much more than I remember—and her presence is forever healing for some reasons I can't tell.

"We missed you, too." I huff an emotional laugh, and her eyes rest on me. "Well, you caught us at a compromising time," I say.

Your husband's shirt and leggings? A way to leave a first impression, Kira!

Eleanor laughs. "You look cozy, and it's nothing but a good sign. I'm happy about that, trust me."

I give no comment on that, but my cheeks are most probably red.

A bottle of chilly champagne is poured into glasses by Eleanor during dinner. She hasn't stopped talking since her arrival this evening and no one is tired listening to her.

"Just sit down and let me do it," Mrs. Prescott scolds her for the umpteenth time.

"I tried but she won't let me," I comment truthfully while serving the BBQ shrimp and Greek salad onto my husband's plate.

"Come on, guys! I'm not arguing with any of you, okay? I miss doing this so let me," Eleanor states and Liam smiles gently at our banter as he takes a seat. "Nana, call Lisa and Mr. Prescott. Let's all have dinner together. I miss you, guys!" She pouts her lips cutely.

"Alright." Mrs. Prescott smiles and walks out.

"Ah, it's so good to be home," Eleanor whispers under her breath after a sip of champagne.

I grin at her and focus back on Mr. Intense. "Some pasta?" I ask him while clutching the ceramic bowl of parmesan pasta that smells terrific.

"Just a little," Liam mutters while sipping the champagne poured by his mother.