Twenty-eight

Today is my wedding day.

Wordless, I'm seated on the dressing table stool, dressed in a white, silky sleeping robe. Two ladies are busy finishing my hair and makeup. Sam and Roshni are nowhere to be seen, but I suppose they're also getting ready. I'm nervous and excited at the same time—if that's even something.

Eleanor walks into the room. "Are you done, girls?" she asks.

"Yes, Eleanor. Our job here is done," one of them says proudly, facing me through the large mirror in front of us.

Wow, is this really me? I inhale softly at the gorgeous reflection of myself.

"Good." Eleanor looks pleased. "You need to get dressed, Kira. I've been getting endless calls from the ranch that I feel like my head's gonna burst." She sighs.

I'm sure she's very exhausted. She's done so much in a short time—I certainly couldn't pull off even half of this whole thing.

"I'm sorry," I whisper while getting up. "Is something wrong?" I move from the dressing table while fastening my robe.

Responsively, Eleanor strides over with a flashy smile. "Nothing is wrong, honey. And you look absolutely beautiful already."

I flush. "Thank you. Ah, I'm super nervous, though." I blow out some air, rubbing my palms together.

"Hey, don't be. Everything will be fine, trust me. Sam and Roshni will be here shortly. Ricardo is on the way, so you can rest a little while waiting for him to help you with the dress," says Eleanor, stroking the loose strands of my hair. "So beautiful." That fond smile appears again.

"Okay," I mutter.

"Good. I'm going home, so I guess we'll see each other later? No, stress, promise me." She's in a rush.

"I promise," I reply with a tight smile as if I'm afraid to remain by myself in this room.

Ricardo arrives and takes charge of fixing my dress right away after I put it on. Behind me I don't know what he's doing, but his charming voice never ceases to draw my smile. From time to time he instructs me to suck my tummy in and it's quite a phase until the dress is well settled on my body.

"Oh, we're almost done, darling!" Ricky is super excited for me.

I smile.

The mermaid dress feels more comfortable compared to that royal-like dress Sam calls Cinderella. I smile at the thought, and blush at the sight of the glittery sequin fabric hugging my slender body. Milky white with off-shoulders and plunging V-neckline.

It's nothing vulgar—it just shows the right amount of cleavage beneath the nude lace.

"Like it?" Ricky asks, grinning.

"Love it." I'm in awe.

My hair is half-up, half-down, accentuated with floral hair pins. Oh, I love how it blends perfectly with the simple makeup on my face. Smokey eye enhances my bronze skin, and just as I wanted, my lips are coated by a pinkish nude lipstick.

"You simply look stunning," Ricky says, proud of his creation.

He's a marvel.

"Oh my God!" It's either Sam or Roshni's voice.

I smile as my maids of honor stride in, fully dressed in their own spectacular red dresses—as gorgeous as ever.

"Gosh! I feel like a proud mom," says Sam, her eyes brimming.

"So true. You look . . . I can't even come up with the right word," Roshni utters. "This dress fits you even better than the last one. Simple and elegant."