Forty-five

"Tell me. Should I expect some infant cries anytime soon?" Eleanor asks through the phone, her voice teasing yet it bears something frightful in my chest. 

My body tenses beside Liam's, and he softly smiles at me.

"Um, no." I laugh nervously, holding the phone firmly.

Liam shakes his head to the sides, amused. He takes the phone from me and asks, "Where do you come up with those plans, Mother, huh?" 

"Well . . ." Eleanor chuckles. She sounds happy that we've called her, and I can't say I'm any different.

I miss her a lot. 

"I had a dream I was holding a baby, and Charlie was right beside me saying 'Look, Eleanor. It's our grandson. Isn't he lovely?' God, Liam, he was so proud to see his grandson." From joy to profound sadness, Eleanor's mood shifts drastically.

I exchange glances with Liam, and my eyes are already watery for some reason. I sniff and compose myself.

"Maybe you're just missing him," I remark carefully.

I still can't imagine what she goes through everyday knowing the man she loves and still yearning for is no longer part of this world. It's the kind of pain I don't even want to think about.

Eleanor sighs soundly. "I always do, dear." Her voice comes out more sadly, and Liam's face turns mirthless. "So, how is everything? Are you coping with England?" she quizzes. 

"Pretty much. I haven't seen much of it, though. My husband is so busy and when I go out on my own he gets haywire." I try to pacify the mood. 

Liam rolls his eyes. 

"Oh. Why am I so surprised?" Eleanor laughs, sarcasm lacing her sweet voice. "He must've inherited all of his father's traits. Control freak!" 

I burst out laughing, and my husband lifts a defamed eyebrow at me.

"You're totally right. He's definitely a control freak . . . like everything needs his patronage before it turns out to be valid." I watch him scoffing while muttering some incoherent words. 

"I know, right?" Eleanor says, and I feel like I'm chatting with my bestie. "Men never understand that we are intelligent enough, but we're just giving them the credits they yearn to have by asking permission on stuff. Oh, this was one of speeches I gave Charlie nonstop." She laughs jubilantly.

"So, is this a women's solidarity day or what?" Liam snorts while adding another pillow behind his back so he lays more comfortably.

"Well, it is, son. And you should take your wife out more often, Liam. Don't keep her locked up inside that huge house of yours," Eleanor enthuses.

Yes! Tell him. My subconscious acquisces wholeheartedly.

"Or he can let me go out on my own, at the very least?" I contrive, because I'm very much aware that he's busy with work so he can't do it as often as I'd prefer him to.

Liam sighs. "But I haven't stopped her from going out, have I?" He glances at me, a serious look on his face. He's worried. "I only said you should be with Mr. Prescott when you do so."

"We are just kidding, Liam. You don't need to feel alarmed," I say, meaning it. 

He's so sensitive; taking everything seriously. Gosh!

"I don't want us to have misunderstandings so we'll discuss this later," he carefully suggests and I think he's not bluffing.

Can't he take jokes? I mentally sigh as I know he's already feeling guilty over something he shouldn't.