Fifty-six

The sun is shining gently as I join Liam in the backseat of the Mercedes. I smile tightly at him, masking the small displeasure and anxiety filled in my heart. It's time to see Dr. Adams, and what to expect is still wrecking me inside.

"Ready?" Liam shoves his phone into the pocket of his leather jacket, regarding me with a tiny smile.

"Hmm." I nod, scooting myself to his side.

Mr. Prescott starts the car upon Liam's slight nod via the rearview mirror.

"Some music, Ma'am?" Mr. Prescot asks me as the car starts moving.

"Yes, please. Christmas songs will be better than any other," I reply and suck in a soft breath.

Calm down, Kira. Take it easy.

"Very well." Mr. Prescott's hand reaches the dashboard and scintillating voices of Boney M fill up in the air some moment later.

I lay my head on Liam's shoulder, flowing with the lyrics heartily. In response, my husband places a soft kiss in my hair, uttering no word.

He's been too quiet today, but I understand him. What we're going through can't be easy on him. I hope it goes well with Dr. Adams.

Dr. Adam's office is exactly as I remember. The only difference is that today I'm not striding off like a crazed woman, as I did upon learning about my condition a few days ago. Sighing, I push back the horrid memory to the deepest part of my brain, focusing solely on the present.

"Welcome once again," Dr. Adams says cordially while undressing her white coat. Gingerly, she hangs it on the wooden hanger beside her desk. "I hope you're both fine. Mr. Darcy, Kira, how are you?" Her voice comes out hopeful as she takes a seat.

She's gorgeous in her pink pantsuit, her hair tied up in a professional bun.

"I'm fine, I guess," I answer, slowly accepting that staying positive is the beginning of everything good.

"I'm glad to hear that. And I'm very happy to see you both today, because let me be very honest with you now that we're ready to start the treatment." Dr. Adam's face takes a serious turn, sitting straight in her chair with fingers laced on the desk.

Nodding curtly, Liam sets his attention on her.

Dr. Adams proceeds. "Even though the process is likely to be physical, the battle is always an emotional one. It can be stressful and frustrating at times—tiring even—but it's never impossible to win it. You need each other, Mr. and Mrs. Darcy, in order to make this work. Some people tend to give up in the process, but if you're patient and persistent enough, the result is likely to be positive."

She explains further about the mental preparations, and the things to expect during the treatment process. We listen attentively, taking notes by heart, and I remain at ease knowing I'm not alone.

Finally, Dr. Adams lays down all possible treatments for infertility, after handing us the brochures containing the basic information on the matter.

"In your condition, what we need is to stimulate the ovaries so that the ovulation can take place as it should," she says expertly, eyes on me. "But it's not necessary to use the hormonal injection or infertility drugs; you can opt for the implantation of your husband's semen to your uterus for that matter."

"Intrauterine insemination,'" Liam mutters, gliding his gaze from the brochure to Dr. Adams face. She nods affirmatively. "Which is a surgery, I suppose?" he adds, his voice dry, and eyes curious.

"Not as extreme as it sounds, Mr. Darcy." Dr. Adams smiles. "But the procedure is intrusive."

I feel a bile rising in my throat at the mention of 'surgery'. It won't reach this stage, will it? A sudden fright spikes in my blood, the option sounding too intense to handle.