Sixty-three

"Kira," Liam breathes my name as though it's been stuck at the tip of his tongue for a century, waiting to fly away. "I had no idea she'd be there. I met her last evening and it was only for a short while, I swear," he explains desperately while getting closer to me.

I don't say a word, I just wait for him to proceed without taking a step further.

"That picture didn't mean anything that's been insinuated by the people who took it," he says in an endearing tone of voice. "Scarlet and I had to have a talk at some point, and since we met there it was inevitable to leave things as they are. Kira, we talked about her pregnancy and it was an emotional moment for her so I was merely showing my support."

And it was emotional for you too, I believe. I swallow tightly at the surge of nerves in my blood. He has a point, I know he does.

"I couldn't tell you about my meeting with her because I believed it's better I tell you in person than doing it while I was still there," Liam adds, answering the last question I had. "Why did I marry you instead of her? Jesus, Kira, I married you because I love you! Not her!" he snaps, talking about my text.

I still don't respond and Liam sighs heavily upon my silence. Panic strikes in his face as he runs a hand through his hair, seemingly afraid of what I'm going to say to him. He looks stressed and it bruises my heart regardless of the reason behind all this mess. 

I'm not angry anymore—I can feel it—and his presence is nothing but an assurance that he's still my husband just as before. If I can't trust his words, I'll have to trust his eyes at the very least. When I look at them and see nothing sincerity and love for us.

And I can't hold my feelings anymore. I stride over and hug him. I want nothing but for things to get back to normal now that he's back home with me. His warmth, his breath, his sweet hold around my body are what I yearn for at the moment.

"My love," Liam breathes and holds me closer to him. "I just need you to believe." 

"I believe you," I whisper softly and pull back to behold his bewildered gaze. He's skeptical, his body tense. "I mean it." A smile kisses my lips, reassuring him.

"Oh, Kira." He pulls me for a tight hug, breathing into my hair. He showers me with many kisses to show how relieved he is. "You had me so worried, baby. I was so scared that I may lose you, after our last chat this morning."

Really now? Because he thought I'd pack my bags and leave? What a dumb intelligent man! I laugh gently.

"Is that why you rushed back so early?" I murmur, burying my face onto his chest. 

"Of course." He kisses my hair once again. "I couldn't stay a day longer. It was killing me inside thinking of any possibility of you making a rushed decision out of anger. My God, you are such a pro at turning me nuts, Mrs. Darcy."

"I'm pretty sure that's your area of expertise." I tug my head back to behold his face anew. He looks eased now. "Did you really have to hold her hand, Liam Darcy? Fine, I can pretend to understand you two had a lot to talk about, but why holding her hand behind the fireplace? And why didn't you just tell me when you met her?"

Okay, I think I'm turning bipolar now. One minute I forgive him, and another I feel like he's not forgiven yet. 

Liam's eyes widen. "I didn't tell you because I knew you'd be like . . . this." He points at me as if I'm an object. I frown at him and he chuckles. "Kira, I know how anxious you'd get knowing I was in the same place with Scarlet. I didn't want that to happen. However, I wasn't going to hide it forever, just as I told you a while ago. As soon as I got back home, I was going to tell you about it."