Twenty-one

Liam and I join the others for lunch around one-thirty. After spending the whole morning at the privacy of our romantic chamber, all I desire is real food to replenish my body. My subtle glance toward my fiancé doesn't go unnoticed by him, and a small smile is my reward from his lips.

"I imagine you're still thinking of me," he whispers in my ear, taking my hand in his as we march toward the table.

"Dream on." I blush and my gaze catches a sight of someone unexpected from where our group is seated.

"What?" Liam inquires.

"Look over there." I point out at the man sitting next to Sam. "It's Jonathan! He's here." I'm grinning ridiculously at Liam.

He shrugs, a tiny smile touching the corners of his lips.

"Hi, guys," I greet them, Roshni and Malik included as it's the four of them around the table.

"Kira." Jonathan gets up abruptly, happy to see me I suppose. "How are you?" He's still full of novelty and his manners are ever pleasing.

"I'm great, Boss. You?" My tone is placid as I tease him.

"Boss?" He laughs shyly. "You won't ever quit calling me that, will you?" he asks, his voice condescending.

I guess my Mr. Darcy isn't the only time-traveller from an old dynasty, where people cared about speaking manners. Jonathan is almost the same.

"Only when I'm happy." I plop down onto the chair Liam has just pulled out for me. "Thanks, babe," I mouth.

"Anytime." Liam uses the last chair right beside me before sharing his greetings to everyone.

Further greetings follow, in which Liam and Jonathan are officially introduced. They exchange a cordial handshake, and everything feels fine despite Liam's grudge against the Krugers regarding Jeremy and the incident back in Los Angeles.

I'm just happy he's not irrationally condemning Jonathan for his brother's mistakes. That's my hubby to be. I smile softly, watching him nods at whatever they're talking about. He, Malik, and Jonathan seem to have found something interesting.

We order our food and eat in peace and harmony while having a few stories to hear. The men are mostly engaged into a business conversation, as it's apparently the first thing they share in common. It doesn't take a grand effort for Jonathan to fit in with the boys.

"Hey, have you been locked up in your room all this time?" Sam asks me blatantly.

Roshni chuckles. She's softly chewing her velvet cake for dessert.

"Yeah?" I say truthfully. "And I wouldn't be here if it weren't for food because it was an exquisite morning." I taste the apple pie I've been craving from the moment I saw someone next table having it.

"Ew. I didn't know it can get this uncomfortable to hear about one's sexual endeavors!" Sam grouches and I burst into laughter.

"Now you can understand what I've gone through being your best friend," I remark and our chat turns sleazy but meaningful for our heart's complacency.

We all needed this moment after whatever we've been dealing with, consciously and subconsciously.

After eating I get a private audience with Jonathan. He gives me a bashful smile while adjusting his chair. I believe we haven't talked in a good while despite the fact that he's almost my brother in law. I smile back at him and he clears his throat, ready to speak his mind.