Chapter 40

*Lorianna P.O.V.*

I took a deep breath, and raised the glass into the sky. This was a hell of a lifetime. Mother, I finally get to see you again. I've tried my best to be good, to live on, but this seems to be it. Maybe, in my next life, in our next life, we can break away from a noble life, we can break away from all of these people. We can live a normal life, with Father, without all this pressure about ruling. 

"Happy birthday, Prince Edward." I managed to say.

I was about to drink the wine, but she came out of the crowd, and pushed to the ground, spilling the wine all over my dress.

"Seize her!" One of the guards said.
"Wha-Why did you do this?" I asked, flustered.
"Run Princess! Live on!" She said, fighting back the guards.
"No! You'll die doing this!" I cried.
"Run Princess! I can't hold them off for longer!" She said.
"But what about you?! Why did you do this!" 
"At this way, I have fulfilled my promise to the Queen." She said. "Goodbye, Lori."

I wanted to stay, but she used her magic to push me through a portal. I turned around, wanting to walk back. I looked around trying to find out where I was. All I could see were the tall trees surrounding me. I didn't even know if I was still in the Kingdom.

I collapsed on the ground, sobbing my heart out. She was gone. They were all gone. Everyone I ever loved, everyone that I tried my best to protect. They were all dead, because of me. They were all dead trying to me protect me. 

For days, I wandered around aimlessly in the forest. Blisters started to form on my feet, the edges of my dress started to tear. But nothing mattered anymore. Everyone was gone. So many times, I wanted to just end my life then and there. But then her face would appear.

"Live on, Princess." She would say.

Princess? I hated that term. What did it get me? What did I benefit from it? Nothing. It was like a curse I had. Lorianna...I hated that name. What a pathetic name. Nobody knows it, nobody remembers it, and all it brings is just death. 

I didn't know how many days passed, when I somehow found my into a small village. I was hungry, and I didn't shower for days. I tried using my name to earn some food and shelter, but the villagers only spat on me.

They didn't believe that "Princess Lorianna" would look so much like a hobo. They said that she should be in the palace near the edge of the Kingdom, waiting for the day to seize the throne back. I had to steal food, and many of the times, I got beaten for it.

I don't know how long I lived like that. At some point, I had to cut my name to Lori, so that people would stop mocking me for "thinking I was the Princess". 

One day I wandered in front of a wall, it was like a "notice wall", where all the latest news was posted. I scanned through the papers, until my eyes landed on one which read: "Traitor servant's beheading performed at noon in Townsquare." 

I immediately knew it was her. I didn't have a clock on me, but depending on the position of the sun, noon was almost near. I rushed towards the Townsquare. There was already a whole crowd of people standing there, waiting for the execution to happen.

I forced my way to a position as near to the front as possible. This was my chance to save her, this was my chance to get her out of this situation. I could get her out of there, and run away from this hellhole. 

"Princess Lorianna is good as dead now." One person said next to me.
"She was loved only because of her mother." Another person said, "She will never be as good as her mother."

I hung my head down, my heart aching. I thought that the council representative said I was supported among the common folk, but I guess he was on her side as well. Everything I was told was a lie.

They finally brought her up, she got so much more skinny. I had to quickly put on a spell that changed my appearance. If the Queen saw me here, she wouldn't hesitate to kill me right on the spot. She got so much skinnier. I could tell that they were torturing her. All the scars on her limbs, the bloodspots on her face.

"Any last words?" the Queen asked, smirking. "If you decide to tell us Lorianna's position, I can consider on letting you go." 

I tried to use magic to free her, but they would always cast a spell to prevent any magic from interfering with the execution. None of my powers worked.

"It's almost noon, you have less than a couple of minutes to spit out the truth."

My heart raced, I didn't know what to do. Without magic, I couldn't go up and fight all the people that were there keeping the Queen safe. 

She looked into the crowd. Her eyes were still soft and warm. I wanted to cry, tears were already forming when she locked eyes with me. She smiled, and yelled:

"Princess Lorianna is the rightful heir to the throne!" 

Then...Well, I think we all know what happens. They chopped her head off.

Tears streamed down my face as I ran out of the crowd. 'Til this day, I still don't know if she knew she was looking at me. I did have a spell on my face. But her firm gaze, and her warm smile told me that,

she looked past the spell.

Don't worry guys, the boys are coming in very soon, we're getting there, everything is slowly coming together.

ALSO! Go check out "My Friend' Ex", the ENDING's direction is in YOUR hands, read through the chapters, or my latest message on my wall to understand ;)

Thanks for watching, hope you enjoyed the chapter, and have a nice day<33