Chapter 45

*Lorianna P.O.V.*

Using a spell to change my appearance, I managed to get into the palace once again. Nothing changed in there, everything was so familiar, so disgustingly familiar. They provided us with clothes to change in, and told us to meet in the back garden.

Once everyone was ready, they gave us a quick run down about the things they're looking for in servants as well as the areas that we were going to be assessed on. I was half asleep when they gave us the run down. Having lived the palace, I knew everything about it. 

After the rules were given out, they started giving us a tour of the palace. We started off in the main lobby, and slowly making our way into the bedrooms. Father's bedroom and the Queen's we only got to see the door, and couldn't go in as it wasn't allowed to. When we got to my bedroom, they opened the door.

"And this is where Princess Lorianna once lived." The head maid said.

We were allowed to walk in, but not to touch anything. It was surprising to have to tour my own room, and it was more surprising on how of it a good state it was left in. The room smelled fresh, the bedsheets nicely made. There was no dust on the shelves, table or chairs. It was as if my room was being cleaned even when I don't live here anymore.

"Before she died." The head maid finished.

Died? So I was dead in their eyes now. Great. At least now that makes it easier for me to go around since I knew now that no one was on my tail.

"I can't believe I'm standing in Princess Lorianna's room!" One of the girls next to me whispered excitedly. "I've always wanted to meet her! She was such an inspiration to me. It's so unfortunate that she died at such a young age."
"Well she kind of deserved it. She's a princess after all, not a queen. I heard that she was being a bitch to the Queen and Prince Edward, so they casted her out. If she knew her manners a little better then she wouldn't have met her end so soon." Another girl said.

It was clear that my reputation had two forces behind it. Those who supported me and those who hated me. But at this point, I had no motivation to start and argument with those girls. My only goal was to get close to Father.

"Now now girls. Even if you have an opinion on Princess Lorianna, she was indeed a princess, part of the royal family, and will always be in a higher position than we will ever. Please understand that working for the royal family means that you will have to show respect to all members. Even the dead." The head maid said, shutting everyone up.

Once our tour ended, we were all off to do our tasks. Everyday we each received a scroll with the things we were assigned to do, and by the end of the day there were maids that came and assessed our work. It didn't take long to eliminate more than half the people, and before I knew it, there were only four of us left.

"Congratulations," The head maid said one morning. "You four have passed all the assessments, and are now officially servants of the palace. Since you are new, you wouldn't be given too many important tasks, but you can manage to work your way up. And remember, if we find any of your slacking off, or not doing your work properly, we will escort you out."

The four of us nodded.

"Now I will hand each of you a scroll, and on it will be written the area you will be in charge of from now on."

When I opened my scroll, all it read was: "Prince Edward's servant". 

"Um, excuse me." I called, "It says that I'm Prince Edward's servant, I don't think I'm qualified for that yet."
"Oh don't worry honey, if you made it here you are definitely capable of serving Prince Edward. And you should be grateful, this is quite a high role for a newcomer. Run along now, we still have to serve the Queen."