Chapter 24

Chapter 24

A/N:

Thank you very much for checking out another chapter of this story! I hope you're enjoying it as things are starting to pick up. But don't worry, we're not at the end yet. We are getting close to it though (sadly).

Anyways, this chapter is a bit short because it's more of a filler than anything. The next one should be longer and more interesting hopefully.

I still hope you'll enjoy!

Happy Reading,

candysweet101

*******************************************************************************************************************

I looked up at the apartment building that I had decided to move into. It had been two weeks since I had told my parents that I was moving out and in that time, I had searched endlessly for the perfect place. And now, I was finally here, looking at my new home. 

I really hoped that this was the right thing for me to do. I felt like I was taking a step forward, towards being able to cope with my situation and to find a good solution.

Shaking myself out of my thoughts, I picked up my last box and walked into the building, taking the elevator to the fourth floor. I opened my door to be met by empty white walls and multiple boxes. I sighed in contentment and stepped inside, planning what I was going to unbox first.

~~♡~~♡~~♡~~

I turned around to lock my door before walking to the elevator. It was only my third day here and I already felt as if I had always lived here. That must be a good sign, I thought to myself. I smiled slightly as I pressed the down button to call elevator.

In a few seconds, it arrived and I walked in, replying to a message I had recieved from my mother, asking how I was settling in at my new place. I felt very touched by how much she cared for me.

"What are you doing here Victoria?" I heard a familiar voice. I removed my eyes from the screen of my phone and looked at the person who had addressed me. I almost dropped my belongings as I saw Fae standing before me.

"What are you doing here?" I asked her. She chuckled slightly.

"I live here. If you came to my house warming, you would've known," she said with a small smile. I nodded my head slightly, looking away from her awkwardly.

I had been so busy looking for a new place, that the party had completely left my mind.

"Since when do you live here?" she asked, breaking the silence which had begun to surround us.

"Since two days ago," I replied.

"So this is why you couldn't come? You were busy moving?" I nodded my head at her question. 

"Well I guess that's a good reason. I thought you were trying to avoid me, since our last meeting didn't go so well."

"Why does it matter to you?" I had asked her, wondering why she was so interested in how I felt about Alex.

"Why wouldn't it? Unlike you I care about Alex and I don't want to see him get hurt," she had replied determinedly.

"Well if you care about him so much why don't you just go and be with him?" I had shouted at her, feeling my frustration increase. 

"You know what, maybe I will," she had said back, equally frustrated.

I had almost forgotten that that had happened. But the memory of it brought with it a thought which I didn't like:

She was probably with Alex now.

But if they were truly together, why would he send me those messages? There would be only one explanation and just like the thought of Alex and Fae being together, I didn't like that explanation.

"Victoria?" I heard her voice from a distance.

I shook myself out of my thoughts and looked at her to find her pointing to the open elevator door.

"We can get out now." 

I nodded my head and followed her outside.

"I wasn't avoiding you," I said to her as we walked towards the parking lot. She turned around and smiled slightly at me, nodding as well.

"I know."

And that was the last thing she said to me before she left for her car. I looked at her retreating figure, wondering if my thought about her and Alex was true.

~~♡~~♡~~♡~~

As I walked into the work, I continued to think about Fae. It wouldn't surprise me if she had indeed gone to be with Alex but if it were true, it would truly hurt me. Especially since I just came to terms with my feelings.

"It's finally your turn today Victoria," I heard Ashley say. I looked at her slightly confused, to which I earned a small frown.

"It's your turn to be at the front and my turn to check on patients. Did you forget that I'm a pediatrician too?" she said, placing her hands on her hips. I chuckled to myself slightly as I walked closer to her.

"Actually, I didn't forget. I guess you could say I enjoy my job too much to give it up even for a second," I replied, sticking out my tongue at her childishly. She rolled her eyes in mock annoyance.

"Maybe I'd enjoy my job too if you gave me a chance to actually do it."

"Alright, we can finally switch if that's what you really want." 

A large smile appeared on her face as she walked from behind the front desk and towards her office which was near mine. She had been working at the front desk for so long that I had almost forgotten that it was there. 

In a few moments, she reappeared with her white coat, stethoscope and clipboard, ready for the day. I couldn't help but to smile at her; it suited her well.

I settled behind the desk once she had started and got ready to brace the day. It had been a very long time since I had to work at the front desk so I was a little skeptical about my skills. But even with that in mind, my thoughts still turned to Alex and Fae.