Chapter 3

Chapter 3

I slowly opened my eyes as the sun brightened the room, to see my husband soundly asleep. I smiled to myself, noticing how adorable he looked. I turned around to reach for my phone on the side table to take a picture but I was stopped by his arm wrapping around my waist. I suppressed a shriek as I turned around to face him.

"Morning beautiful," he said, smiling widely at me and lightly putting a stray stand of hair behind my ear. I returned his smile and leaned in to him, lightly pressing my lips against his "morning."

He pulled away, rolling his bottom lip into his mouth and shook his head almost disapprovingly, looking at me.

"Did I do something wrong?" I asked.

"Yes you did, Victoria," he replied. My eyebrows knotted together in confusion. "You're making me want to stay in bed all day with you."

My mouth turned into an O as I playfully slapped his chest. "Geez Alex, you scared me. And you know we can't stay in bed, we have work," I said before attempting to get out of bed. He grabbed onto my wrist and pulled me back in just when I was about to get up.

"Call in sick," he said, snuggling his head into the crook of my neck and placing a lingering kiss on my skin. I bit my bottom lip, arching my head back to give him more room.

As alluring as his action was, I couldn't let him win. I promised I would be at work early today. "Alex, I can't call in sick. They need me," I said, my voice coming out breathy.

He pulled back and chuckled. "Aww, too bad. I had a lot of great things planned."

No, Victoria. You need to go to work, I thought to myself in an attempt to ignore his tempting proposal. I shook my head, sticking my tongue out at him like a child.

I quickly jumped out of the bed and ran to the bathroom, picking up my robe from the top of the dresser on my way before he could pull me back.

After a quick shower, I walked into the bedroom to find it empty with a spicy citrusy scent hanging softly in the air. On the side table was a small round tray with a single red rose beside a red mug with two cinnamon sticks and steam dancing out of it. There was a white index card in front of the tray with my name written on it. I slowly walked up to the side table and picked up the rose and the index card. I held the rose to my nose and smelled it while I read the card, immediately recognizing the words:

Don't wanna let this moment slip away

'Cause I have something that I really need to say

And it's killing me inside

I think that maybe you don't understand

How I would give you all I have and all I am

Till the end of time

You got me defenseless, intoxicate me senseless

You cut me so deeply, I must confess

Baby, I can't breathe with my arms around you

Baby, I can't sleep 'cause now that I found you

Your love is like a weapon, girl, I can't live without you

You're so beautiful, it's tearing me apart

You murder my heart

I returned the rose to the tray and took a sip of the spiced tea. Immediately, the taste of cinnamon harmonized with citrus flavors, creating a sense of tranquility on this fall morning. With a large smile on my face, I set down the cup before putting on a pink dress shirt and a formal black skirt. On my way out the door, I picked up my matching blazer, handbag, and heels. I ran back to the tray and picked up the mug before leaving the room.