Chapter 28

Chapter 28

A/N:

Only 2 more chapters before the epilogue! We're getting so close to the end. I hope you've been enjoying everything so far. This chapter isn't very long but we'll find out something important which will affect the ending. Enjoy!

Happy Reading,

candysweet101

*******************************************************************************************************************

Fae looked at me slightly confused.

"What's going between you and Alex?" I repeated my question, this time in a much harsher tone.

"Are you accusing me of something Victoria?" she asked, genuinely confused.

"Just answer me Fae," I said as I tried my best to maintain my impatience. But I couldn't when she continued to go around in circles rather than answer my question. After a few moments of silence, she finally decided to answer me.

"There's nothing going on."

I looked back at her as shock took over my body.

There was nothing going on?

How was that possible when I had seen them together?

"You're lying," I spoke my thoughts.

"You don't have to believe me Victoria. But there's really nothing going on. I don't know what you heard or saw that gave you that idea."

She walked past me, leaving me to watch the elevator doors as they closed. I turned around when the sound of it closing broke me out of my trance.

"I saw him with you at the lobby several times. If there's nothing going on, how do you explain that?" I asked her, holding onto her shoulder and forcing her to turn around to face me.

"He was just here to help me with something," she replied calmly.

"To help you? Enough with the lies Fae. Just tell me what's going on!"

"I told you there's nothing!" She yelled back, her face starting to reflect her anger.

"I told you that you could be with him if you cared about him! Why should I believe that you didn't go through with it?!"

"I'm your friend Victoria. But not only that; I'm also Alex's friend. And I only want what's best for the both of you. Why would I want to come in between two of the people that I care about the most?!"

I watched her as she walked away towards her suite, her words circulating in my mind. I slowly walked towards the elevator, still finding it hard to believe what she had said.

How could she think that I would believe anything she said?

I entered the elevator once it opened and pressed my floor number. As I walked out, and made my way towards my door, I felt someone bump into me.

"I'm sorry," I muttered to the person, earning a curt nod.

As I got closer to my door, something small caught my eye. Once I was close enough, I was able to see that if was another card and rose.

I picked up the card and the rose, putting it into my bag and opening the door. Those items quickly left my mind as I walked to my bedroom and changed into comfortable clothes and began to prepare a meal for myself.

As I sat down to eat, I suddenly remembered the items from earlier. I walked into my bedroom and placed my bag on my lap, opening it and taking out the card and rose.

Meet me at eight tomorrow at the restaurant I proposed.

Wear something formal.

That was what the card had said. I reluctantly walked back to the dining room and began to eat, wondering why I would receive something like that.

As I was finishing my meal, I heard the doorbell ring. Sighing slightly, I stood up and went to open the door.

"Fae?" I asked incredulously. She nodded her head, a small smile on her face.

"Mind if I come in?" she asked. I shook my head and stepped to the side to allow her to walk in.

As she walked past my small dining table, on her way to the living room, she stopped and walked towards it. She picked up the card and turned around to look at me.

"Can I read it?" she asked.

Not knowing what to say, I nodded, giving her permission. She slowly opened it and read it, a small smile appearing on her face as she finished.

"What?" I asked, questioning her smile.

"Who's it from?" she replied with a question. I stood there in silence, debating on whether I should tell her or not.

Although she had said that there was nothing going on between her and Alex, I still found it hard to believe. Even with all her reasons. But before I could stop myself, I said his name.

"Alex."

She beamed at me immediately, walking closer to me.

"Really?" she asked when she stopped in front of me. I nodded.

"Do you know what this means?" she continued, almost squealing. I shook my head.

"He probably wants to get back together with you. Why else would he ask you to meet at the place where he had proposed to you?"

I hadn't thought of that as the reason. But after hearing her say it, it wasn't hard to believe that that really was why he had sent me that invitation.

"So are you going?" Fae asked another question, walking towards the dining table and taking a seat after putting down the card.

"I don't know," I replied truthfully.

Because even though I wanted to believe that he wanted to get back together with me, there was always the possibility of him wanting the opposite. I mean, he had tried to get me to sign divorce papers not too long ago.

"Are you worried about something?" she asked as she watched me take a seat.

"What if this invitation is just his way of asking me to sign divorce papers? He already tried to get me to do it once," I spoke what was on my mind.

She smiled at my concern but shook her head.

"Alex isn't cruel. He would never ask you to meet him there just to sign divorce papers."

I smiled slightly as I thought about it. It was true that he wasn't cruel; in fact, he was the one of the kindest people I had ever met. But even with that knowledge, a small part of me was still doubting everything.

"I think you should go Victoria. That way you can find out why he really sent this to you," she said.

I looked up at her curiously as I wondered why she would suggest that.

Could it really be that she wasn't with Alex?

And he wanted to get back together with me?