20

I didn't go home.

I didn't have one, and Fowler making it seem like his old apartment's guest room is home for me was sickening. I was grateful for all he did for me, and I was grateful for the space, but it wasn't my home. My home was that cellar that I burned to ash. I left so much behind, and sometimes I wish I had more time, just so I could bring more. So I could have protected it somehow, shrunk it and carried it everywhere with me.

I went back to the base. I parked my bike and slipped off my helmet, glancing up at Bee as he groaned annoyedly, because Raf was playing a racing game instead of racing with him. I watched silently from the corner. Bee's very pride had been torn from him by my own father, and there was nothing left for me to do to help him.

I may as well have taken his t-cog myself. For all I know, they've already ruined it in their dumb experiment, and since there were several more cybertronians around, they'll just corner the next one they see.

I was tired, but not tired enough to sleep. It was the kind of tiredness that made me feel like a toddler about to throw a tantrum, but this time I didn't have an overbearing parent hell bent on perfection to stop me from it.

I set my helmet down as Bee cried, running off to groan by himself as Raf ran after him, desperately telling him that speed wasn't everything.

But, wasn't it?

If I was faster, if I was smarter... if I was older. Maybe I would have been able to stop my father sooner. Maybe I would be taken more seriously, instead of looked down on as some traumatized child soldier who needed charity.

Jack and Arcee raced in, spinning to a stop at insane angles. Jack was laughing, whistling in his proudness, "Personal best, Arcee! You hit 170 easy!"

Bee didn't seem impressed with that, though. I wasn't either. They all cringed together and I walked off to throw my tantrum in privacy. Even though my body felt weak, I picked up a jog down the hall towards that old garage.

The same one Miko dragged me to on the first day I met them. I was that normal human kid, and not a soldier that day, and showed off a mini routine for her wide, wandering eyes. To her, I was amazing. To everyone else, I was probably not that far from a burden.

I looked around the room, huffing. My head pounded with every breath. I wanted to scream and shout and rip up everything, or just something, but there was nothing here to rip. Even if I had something, like that stupid old family photo I took when I left, I wouldn't have the strength to rip it. Even if I hunted down my father right now on my own and managed to find him, I'd be too weak to defeat him.

I sauntered over to the far wall and let my back fall against the metal, slouching, I slid down the wall and sat on the floor and stared at the high ceilings. The lights were automatic, and had turned on when I walked in. I wish they hadn't.

Bringing my knees up as my lips curled, I banged my forehead against my knees and let myself cry.
It wouldn't even matter if I wasn't here. If they couldn't even use me to help them when it came to issues involving the one thing I knew best, then they wouldn't need me anywhere else.

And the same way Megatron wouldn't waste resources running after Breakdown, who seemingly so easily was captured by a weaker race, my father wouldn't waste his resources on a traitor either. Even if I was his own daughter.

There was a presence, it was hard to miss, and they quietly sat a few feet away from me. It was one of the humans, because I would have heard one of the auto bots far easier than I heard this person's footsteps. It couldn't be Miko, because she would have started talking already, and I wasn't sure it would be Raf. He was too busy trying to look after Bee.