1

Ancient, alien life is not a new discovery.

They've been here, waiting, listening, blending in around humans even before the industrial revolution gave them much better disguises. My great grandfather was one of the first to discover that existence, and began to record it, starting generations of searching for more evidence.

Answers to our questions... Maybe this advanced race that had taken refuge within our planet was wiser than we could ever hope to be for another 2000 years.

My great grandfather died diagnosed with insanity. My grandfather was the same, but smart enough to hide it. He convinced his wife of the truth, and her being a heavy believer in alien life jumped into the search with him. They lived their lives as archaeologists, stealing any evidence and keeping hundreds of journals. They did the most... but they never found them. There was never enough, and my father locked the research into a cellar and forgot about it.

Silas, a military general, took leave from the special ops after fifteen years of service and formed his own crew to work on illegal projects focused on finding, capturing and studying any and all advanced technology. With his name, money and influence, it seemed easy for him.

Growing up, I lived in that basement cellar, because my mother let me play with the old trinkets my grandparents had collected when my father was away in the army. My childhood was full of memories of a gray room with a chalk board and piles of papers and leather covered journals, a tiny window blasting two rays of light over the map on the table that I sat on. It was all fun and games, just a story you could laugh about at dinner, until my interests became the only thing I wanted to spend my time on.

And out of that room, I was my fathers daughter.

My father taught me to fight, to shoot a gun, to drive, to stand at attention, to speak with honor and formality at all times. He taught me how to be strong, in a way no girl should ever have to worry about being. He noticed my love for my grandfather's research and took me under his wing after my mother left, bringing me out to work with him. My mother had homeschooled me before, since we lived too far away from any town or city, but now that I was always on the move with him, the schooling didn't matter.

What he was to create would remove any need for me to have that education, because I was his daughter, his heir.

And I wanted to do whatever I could to make my father happy.

So why then, did doing this hurt so much?
Shouldn't this be in my blood?

I exhaled, sweat dripped down the side of my head and I stood straight, ending the work out as the noises from the loading dock of the base got louder. My father and his crew had returned from their mission.

Stepping out of the dojo, I bounded down the hall and stepped onto an open platform, raised about twenty feet from the ground. The mission was simple: find and retrieve a dynamic nuclear generation system, or, the dingus, and bring it back in good condition.

I placed a hand on the railing as I looked down towards them, a few were limping and injured. The number of people that I counted leaving wasn't the same number of people that stood in the dock now.

"Welcome back, father." I called, and he turned to look up at me, "How did it go?"

"Alyona. Retrieval of the dingus was a failure, but the mission itself proved to be an awakening experience."

I rose a brow, and he smirked as he spoke, "We now have recorded evidence of sentient life forms, living technology, whom live among us. It's time to change our itinerary."

My eyes widened, and my hand slipped from the railing. I turned and quickly stepped down the stairs to meet him as he pulled out a pad.

Showing me the scannings and pictures he got, I gripped onto the device and just stared. It couldn't be true... all that was just a fools dream.