Chapter Eighteen | Cyclamen

Chapter theme: Cool Off - Yeng Constantino

4 years ago...

"I feel shit," Kelly complained, clearing her throat after finishing the last sip of water from her tumbler.

Exhausted, she slumped beside Gabriel, resting her head on his shoulder. It was Saturday, and they had planned to go out and watch a movie for their monthsary. However, her body wasn't cooperating, so they spent the entire day watching movie in the living room instead.

"Still not feeling well? Masakit pa rin ba ang lalamunan mo? Pang-ilang araw na 'yan?" Gabriel inquired, expressing concern.

"Mag-iisang linggo na. Kaiinom ko siguro ng malamig 'to."

"Magpa-check up ka kaya ulit?"

"Gab, I went to the doctor five times already, and they just gave me the same meds for sore throat. Mawawala rin naman siguro 'to. Water therapy lang ang katapat nito."

"Baka mamaya hindi lang simpleng sore throat 'yan. Mas mabuti na 'yong makapagpatingin ka ulit. Mamaya kung ano na 'yan," pagpupumilit ni Gabriel.

Natatawang umayos si Kelly ng upo at bumaling sa boyfriend niya. Ikinulong niya ang mukha nito sa pagitan ng mga palad at pinatakan ng halik ang tungki ng ilong nito.

"You know I've never been sick since I was a kid, so don't worry too much, okay? Malakas yata ang resistensya ko. It's nothing serious."

"Kels, please?"

"Alright. Bukas magpapasama ako kay Mommy na magpa-check up ulit, okay na?"

Gabriel smiled as satisfaction washed over him with her response. True to her promise, Kelly visited the doctor the following day, accompanied by her mom who insisted on a full body checkup upon noticing bruises on her knees and legs.

Two days later, lumabas ang resulta ng lab test ni Kelly. At iyon na ang naging mitsa sa unti-unting pagguho ng kanyang mundo.

The doctor explained that her blood count was severely imbalanced—her white blood cell count was three times higher than normal, while her hemoglobin was three times lower. That day, she was urgently admitted to the emergency room for two bags of blood transfusion, without informing her boyfriend.

🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻

Seated in the consultant's room with her mom and brother by her side, Kelly appeared lost in thought. Every word uttered by the doctor in front of her seemed to slip away from her, as she struggled to grasp the seriousness of the situation. Or, maybe she just couldn't fully come to terms with the reality she was confronted with.