Tattoo

The black ink barely peeked out from its hiding place under her shirt. She always wore clothes that weren't very revealing, and today's outfit wasn't much different.

But today was the day I noticed that she definitely had a tattoo. It must have been right at the base of the back of her neck, for the neckline of her shirt made it barely visible.

I found myself staring at her back at the tiny bit of black ink that peaked out. She never struck me as the kind of girl who would have a tattoo. But there it was, and I couldn't help but wounded what it was.

She giggled and laughed around me for weeks. When she smiled, it lit up the room. She asked me if I was going to the school dance, I said yes for the single fact that she was going.

I stood by the refreshments table with a few people that I knew until she walked in. She was beautiful. She was wearing a simple spring dress; it was the most revealing thing I had seen her in, and trust me; it was pretty modest.

I couldn't help the smile that worked on my face when she came over to me.

"You here all alone?" She asked.

"I know a few people."

"Why don't you come stay with me?"

I couldn't say no.

It took a while until I worked up the courage to ask her to dance with me. I breathed a sigh of relief when she said she'd love to. She just smiled as we danced, having a fun time. She twirled around, and there it was the tattoo.

"You have a tattoo?" I pretended to be surprised.

"Yes." She said, showing it to me.

I laughed for her tattoo was three little turtles.

"Cute."

"One for me, my sister, and my mother." She said, pointing to each one.

"It's beautiful." It was.

She smiled. "Do you have any tattoos?"

"No."

"Pity, I like tattoos. They are like secrets just waiting to be revealed."

"I have plenty of secrets," I told her

"I would love to know them," she said with a mischievous smile.

I blinked a few times, as she spun around. The turtles dancing along her shoulder blade.

She wanted to know my secrets. And I wanted to know hers. As much as I had been intrigued by the tattoo peeking out from under her shirt, I was intrigued by her entire being. I was willing to open myself up to her if only to learn more about her.