Sweater

I liked to pretend that I wasn't keeping track of how many days we had been dating. I was so madly in love with her that I had gone insane. I had become a better version of myself. I couldn't imagine things any better, I looked towards our future in a positive, excited light. We spent most of our days together. Hardly a moment was spent when we weren't holding hands or snuggled up side by side. It was much the same on one cold fall night when I was over at her place, snuggled up by her side watching movies.

She got up following me to the door, it was cold and dark outside. I shivered as the cold air rushed inside as soon as the door opened.

"Brr. It's cold." I said, wrapping my arms around me, I had been wearing a t-shirt as it had been a warm morning.

"Please tell me you brought a sweater?" She said.

"No," I admitted.

She just shook her head at me, calling me stupid for not bringing a sweater.

"I'm not letting you go out there in just a t-shirt." She told me. "Take one of mine."

"Aww, you're going to lend me one of your sweaters?"

"Just so that you don't die from hypothermia. I like you too much."

I laughed as she went back into her room, grabbing a large pull-over sweater. She tossed the red sweater at me. I threw it on, it just fit.

"It's perfect, thanks," I said. "I should probably go."

"Alright. Goodnight." She said, pulling me in for a kiss.

"I'll try and remember to give you your sweater back," I told her before I headed out into the cold night.

I forgot to give the sweater back though, and she forgot to ask about it. It became my lazy sweater, the one I'd wear on laundry days or when I didn't want to study. I loved wearing it, for it reminded me of her. It even smelled like her.

I wore the sweater to school on one chilly evening when I went to go to the library to get some school work done. It wasn't long till she began texting me, distracting me from my work. She messaged me telling me she was going to come by to keep me on task, I laughed at that.

"Did you bring me any snacks?" I asked when she appeared.

"Pfff, what do you think I am?" She asked.

"My girlfriend." I smiled innocently.

She just rolled her eyes before noticing that I was wearing her sweater. "Are you wearing my sweater?" She asked.

"Oh, yeah. I'm sorry, I kind of kept it."

"You're wearing my sweater." She repeated.

"Is that okay?"

"That's more than okay." She said, leaning in to give me a kiss. "Seems like such a couple-ly thing to do."

"I like how it smells like you," I admitted, blushing slightly.

She smiled wide at the comment. "We're so cheesy."

I laughed back. She was right, but I loved it.

Christmas break came. I was sad to be away from her for so long. After we said goodbye my family picked me up to drive me back home. When I got home, I unpacked my stuff, finding her sweater hiding under my things. I picked it up in its bundle, breathing the smell and memory of her. I pulled it on, all snugly and warm. I snapped a quick pic of me in her sweater.

"You're so cute." She texted back. "Miss you."

"Miss you too."