Chapter 56

JiU regained her consciousness two days after the hellish day of her life.

She opened her eyes while she was still in a hospital and what shocked her, even more, was that she had been brought to Seoul by her parents.

She was beyond confused, her brain seemed like to totally stop working but she somehow managed to digest all of what her mother and father told her.

The town where she grew up, Ilmol, was no longer there. Everything had been consumed and covered by The Roots as it slowly died and fully dried out just in a duration of four hours.

The saddest part of the accident was only three per four of the townspeople could be saved while the others, they weren't so lucky and trapped by all the Roots.

Among all those victims, one of her friend's families, Sowon were also included. Being the only one who survived, JiU could only imagine how that girl must have felt.

Knowing her friend, SuA and the others were saved was enough to her at that moment. She got the news about everyone from her parents except the one that saved her, Geoul.

Right after he succeeded in bringing her unconscious self out from the crumbling warehouse, he ran back towards the Roots and vanished. Normal people can't go near the Roots so they couldn't do anything to help.

In fact, even the spirit residing inside her was quiet. Normally, Gahyeon would cheer her up by her playful remark but now, her head was like an empty room. She could feel the spirit girl inside her but only faintly.

She just smiled weakly while hearing about what happened to him. She was worried and sad but she knew that someday, she would meet him again. That's what she believed.

She didn't even have the will to ask her parents the reason why they were there that night. What just happened overwhelmed her so she needed a break to recover.

Eventually, she discovered that her parents were the directors of the R.A.T Organization. To their surprise, she took that reveal pretty chill, acting nonchalantly.

They became more shocked when she voluntarily wanted to join them as a member of the R.A.T. They got speechless but couldn't reject their eldest daughter's request.

The face she gave them while saying that was one that would not waver with anything coming her way. All that was happened to their daughter probably had made her more matured in and out.

Coincidentally enough, Sowon also decided to join and with only one year of training, they both had been assigned into the same unit, a unit for the investigation of Baphomet's movement.

It wasn't a fixed unit so they didn't have a special name to it or anything. It was just a team that Ayoung created with permission from her superior.

The purpose of the team is both for stopping Baphomet and to investigate the mystery attack to their temporary headquarters five years ago which was where she lost her colleagues.

----------

"JiU?"

"..."

"JiU, are you there?"

She snapped out from her deep thoughts, looking left and right before landed her eyes on Sehyoon, smiling brightly at her.

"Oh? I'm sorry, what is it?" She asked.

She and the others were walking on the bushy pathway towards their destination. Though they were sometimes having a small chat, their awareness was opened all the time.

They could come in through the main street with a car but they needed to be quiet as a snake so coming from the back of the bungalow was a good idea. Quieter and less detection.