equals - tanjirou (angst)

Taken from my other book Caprice.

"We all want to be treated as if we're important."

___

Everyone took advantage of this boy ever since he was in grade school. Who wouldn't? The rich will always blame the victim.

Anyone would take his lunch and he would just smile at them, knowing full well the misery of hunger.

His assignment would be taken off his hands and the paper wouldn't give back. Even in group projects, if he was unlucky enough - he'd do everything on his own.

He never spoke against the people that mocks him, didn't even try to fight when they would go as far as trip him.

He would just smile, because violence was never the answer. He would laugh at the jokes, even if it pained him.
Everyone was openly mocking him, everyone thought it was good to joke about his financial status - his food, despite his manju getting eaten by them - his clothes for being second hand, and his normal life for walking home from the city back to his neighborhood.

He was bullied like this because he doesn't react properly.
He let them because he knew fighting against the rich wasn't the solution.

People tried protecting him, but he wasn't weak. He never needed friends in this place - they only took his things. He felt used, even stooped low to become an errand boy.

Everyone knew that his greatest attribute is his greatest flaw: he was too kind for his own good.

And his classmates took advantage of it.

Tanjirou always knew that his school was toxic in a way because it was a prestige private school.

He just got in because of his scholarship. And people took advantage of the fact that he was poor, envied his skills, or just because they have a higher financial leverage.

Bullying is frequent in Japan – he's no one special. The Kamado have always accepted that fact: he had no place in this school unless he made one.

Even if that means being someone 'usable' in the eyes of everyone.

Everyone except for (Last Name), (Name).

Now that's someone opposites of him. He knew her ever since their first year in middle school.

If it was still three years ago, and someone told him that he'd be best of friends with the most infamous person in his batch - he would have given them a deep look full of skepticism.

She just was the opposites of him in so many ways.

(Name) have always been so passive, kept to her business to herself and she knew how to fight people who bullied against her.

She was confident in her own way, and while people hated her for being herself - she did not care for it. Never showed it, unless someone provoked her. She doesn't talk to people unless they talk to her, and always had the aura of pure weirdness that made people stray away from the (Last Name).

She might've as well been the best candidate for the title 'most likely to be the outcast of society' because of her personality.

She was 'unsightly'. His classmates would say. Tanjirou have never been one for looks, and it confused him why his classmates would say that.

Sure, she wore framed glasses and had braces - sure, she doesn't bother with her hair even if they look like a batch of hay.

But why would people even mock her for the way she looks when school is supposed to be a test of intellectual and social status and she's advance in both sides?