twenty-six: The Hunt

It's been two days since I first shifted. I haven't shifted then even though my wolf, who I named Bambi, has been curious and complaining nonstop– hence the name Bambi.

Yesterday was especially hard.

After I shifted back and got to bed, my mind raced with thoughts. I heard and saw everything. It was overwhelming. Aden taught me how to block out people's mind link. I also learned how to talk to the entire pack or just specific people.

Then when I woke up, I was sore and tired. Alice suggested a salt bath and Belle suggested for me to 'stop acting like a baby.' Another thing that completely freaked me out was everyone talking about how my fur is white. No one told me what everyone is talking about, but they certainly are talking. Bambi doesn't like how they talk about me and not to me because apparently, it is disrespectful to the Luna, but I just brush it off. I have bigger things to worry about, like this hunt.

Every season, the pack has a hunt with all the newly shifted wolves. It's a sunrise to sunset sort of event that requires all the leaders to attend. The only people who weren't allowed to come were the Betas. Collen and Belle were left at the packhouse to take care and watch over the lands while we were gone. But Daniel and Alice were allowed to come along with the leading officials of each pack sector.

Our group consisted of Daniel, Alice– the Gammas, Charles and Lester– the Leaders of the Warriors and Civilian Weres, four of the newly shifted wolves, Aden, and me. Although Belle couldn't come along, she still lectured me about having fun.

Cheerfully, I walked over to Aden gave him a small curt smile. He tried to say something to me, but I ignored him by turning my attention to our group, "good morning, all."

"Good morning, Luna," they chorused respectively.

"I hope you all are ready for our seasoning hunt to celebrate the winter season," I smiled at them.

"Today, the five of you will all hunt your first moose," Aden points at the four teens and me. I blink at him and give him a tight smile, I didn't know I was hunting today.

Yes, you are a new wolf, you will participate in the first hunt, he informed me.

I take a deep breath and clasp my hands, "alright if everyone would like to get ready, we can go and hunt our moose!"

With that, the two boys run off into the forest to change behind the trees and the two girls run over to the little changing area to shift. I follow the girls and get undressed. My hands shake at the idea of the pain, again, and I try to calm myself down. We got this.

Just breathe and think about our paws and ears. I promise it won't hurt, Bambi instructs.

Taking a deep breath, I think about my white paws hitting the ground and my fluffy tail wagging in the air. I heard my shoulder and hip pop, causing me to squeal. It didn't hurt like last time and I smile to myself. I feel my canines come forward and my nails turn into claws. Soon enough, my wail is in the air and my paws are in the grass. I smile to myself and trot over to the little group.

The two younger boys' wolves are small compared to Aden's. And I realize that Aden and I are almost the same height, for once. Normally, Aden towers over me, but in wolf form, we are almost the same height.

"Let's go hunting," Aden says.

Aden and I take the lead with Collen and Alice while the rest of the group follows. Alice and I mind link with Belle and talk about nonsense while Aden and Collen find the best route to go. Carefully, we make ourselves go to the clearing, where I first saw the moose. There's no moose there, but instead of going right, like last time, we take a left towards the falls and mountains.