fourteen: Beauty is a Beast

After our eventful dinner, we all stayed in the living room and talked a bit. Well, I watched them talk a bit. They spoke of things that I didn't understand and couldn't put together. Seeing how awkward I was, Aden decided that it'd be best if we went to our rooms to go to bed. It was already ten at night, so it'd be safe to call it a day. We walked up all three stories an by the top, I was out of breath. I looked over to Aden and saw he wasn't even panting, lucky him. I rolled my eyes and groaned as I walked over to my door.

"You okay, Lottie?" Aden asked, trying not to laugh.

I turned to him and crossed my arms over my chest, "stop laughing at me! Those stairs are tough."

"Oh, babe," he shook his head and wrapped his arms around me. Before, the motion caused me to freeze up, but right now it felt nice. He rubbed my back and softly played with my hair. If we stay like this anymore, I'm going to fall asleep in his arms.

"Okay," I slowly stepped out of his hands, "I think I'm going to get ready to go to bed."

Aden stepped back and smiled, "okay. Well if you need me, this one is my door, right across from yours. There's another bathroom to the right, at the end of the hall. There are other rooms on this floor but it's just a library and my private office. I'll see you tomorrow, okay?" He leaned forward and kissed my forehead.

"Okay, goodnight, Aden," I called as I walked into the room.

"Goodnight, Charlotte."

Closing the door, I set the lock and exhaled. I slid down the door and brought my knees to my chest, resting my head on my knees. What am I doing here? I let all the pretty words and heartbreaking stories cloud my judgment and reasoning. I watched Aden change in front of me and tricked myself into thinking it was okay.

The room I was in is still as lovely as ever, beautiful detailing and pretty accents. The bed looked so comfy and warm. I took off my shoes and changed my shirt into the tank top I woke up in earlier today. Carefully, I slid into bed and melted into the sheets letting the stress and insecurity evaporating in the comfortable bed.

Howling. My eyes snapped open to the sound of wolves howling through the trees. I quickly jumped out of bed and over to the window. The sun peaked through the curtains and I watched as a pack of huge wolves ran through the camp. I watched in awe as they weaved in and out of the trees, but still managed to stay in a set formation. They were beautiful.

Reluctantly, I turned away from the view and decided to get ready for the day. Unfortunately, I don't have any of my clothes with me which means I have to use the clothes that are folded in the dresser. I pulled out another pair of legging and a burnt orange oversized sweater. It wasn't meant to be oversized but ended up fitting me oversized. I swiftly pulled my hair into a ponytail and put on my sneakers. Then, I brushed my teeth and washed my face.

I felt like I was missing something, but I didn't know what.

As I stepped out into the hall, I saw that Aden's bedroom door was opened and he was absent. He was probably one of the wolves running. Surprisingly, I remembered my way to the kitchen and my stomach thanked me. Going down the stairs, I made the right to the kitchen to see someone who I didn't want to see.

"What are you doing here?" she spat. The bitch from the mall. I stood there in shock. I didn't expect to see her. "Hello? Are you a mute bitch now? You had a lot to say last time I saw you!"

My mouth opened and closed in shock. I didn't know what to say but was saved by a little voice, "you shouldn't talk to Ms.Luna like that! And you know you're not allowed to say bad words, Mama is gon' be mad!"