six: damsel in distress

Sometime close to noon, I woke up. I've been exhausted lately and this is finally one of the weekends where I have no responsibilities. Of course, taking advantage of that fact, I decided to just relax and not stress myself. Usually, on the weekends, I hang out with my friends or try to look for a job, but these past two months I've been in search of parties looking for Amelia.

I missed her dearly.

Shaking off the sudden feeling of disappointment and sadness, I get out of bed and stretch, allowing my joints to pop at ease and my body to wake up. Before I completely wake up, I walk out of my room to the kitchen looking for Belle, hoping she's decided to come home from her parents' house. In her absence, I look at the fridge to find a note from my parents:

Charlotte Rae,

Maritza got called in for a consult down near the city. Then she has to travel even farther for another consult. And then she has her scheduled surgery, so you won't be seeing her this weekend.

As for me, I'm just out with some of my work buds. If anything just give me a ring and hopefully I'll answer! Just kidding, of course, I'll answer, hun.

I'll be home around dinner!

-Dad :)

That was unusual at the idea of my parents being here long enough to leave a note. I don't even remember them coming in last night.

On the weekends, like today, they usually come to hang out with me and we'll go out. It's part of a tradition, but more of a chore. Maritza is a very busy surgeon. She works in the city as a Pediatric Specialist. Because of her career, she's sometimes not home as often as I'd like.

When I graduated high school, I told my parents I wanted to move out. Of course, without having the money to do so, I begged my parents for the money to be able to move out and live on my own with my two best friends. My dad came up with the idea that he'll pay my rent as long as every weekend we get to have one dinner or one family date. Obviously, I agreed because I wanted to do anything to be independent.

After checking my phone, I texted my dad that I was going to go grocery shopping once I took a quick wake up shower and got something to eat. Because I slept in so late, I was starving. There was leftover Kitchen Fridge Omelette, which is what my dad specializes in making! It consists of deli meat, three different kinds of cheeses, with onions and mushrooms. He usually makes that before I have to go food shopping. How coincidental that I'm going grocery shopping and he made his omelet!

When I finished my late brunch, I decided to go out and fix the garden before the sun starts to go down. Here, the sun starts to set around half past 6-o'clock. I have about three to four hours to fix the garden, but I like to do things before they need to be done. Since it's the beginning of fall, the summer flowers and plants have died, and I, for once, procrastinated pulled out the beautifully dead plants.

I slip on my gardening shoes and change into ragged clothing, that I'm not afraid to get dirty in. Grabbing the shovel and hoe, I get to digging up the dead plants and harvesting the last of the seeds I can salvage. A strong gust of wind passes me, blowing my hair everywhere and the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I turn around as fast as possible, standing up in the process, looking at the trees that overlook my backyard. Feeling uneasy, I decide to head back inside and forget about gardening.

As I shut the back door, a soft growling noise travels with a soft howl. How odd, I thought, howling in the daytime! I try ignoring it as I run upstairs, changing out of my gardening clothes, getting ready to go grocery shopping.