twenty-one: ready, player, fight

"Me?" I said in a high pitched voice. When Aden called me out to the field, I didn't know this is what I was getting myself into.

"Yes you, sweet pea," Aden chuckled. "You have to learn."

"I- I mean my dad taught me a few moves, but never anything crazy," I stuttered. The idea of having to fight against Aden or any of the other warriors was absolutely terrifying. I saw what happens when they get too excited or frustrated and the idea of me being on the other side of their fists is a little terrifying.

"You act like they're gonna kill you," Aden dismissed.

"I- I mean they have the potential! If they wanted to, they very much could."

"But they don't want to. They love you. You're their Luna," Aden reminded me. I scoffed in disbelief and ran a hand through my hair. "C'mon, you'll be going against fifteen-year-olds, they haven't even shifted yet."

"But they'll be super strong and I'm not," I tried.

"Lottie, you need to train with them. It'll help them get to know you better and give you an opportunity to learn how we fight. You need to start training now, before your initial shift, and then we'll continue afterward as well. It's mandatory that everyone, over the age of fifteen, trains and learns how to properly fight in their human and wolf form," Aden explains.

The fear was still ever so present in my chest, but I knew I had to do this whether or not I wanted it. It was one of my many Luna Duties. "When?" I sighed softly.

"The first training session started two hours ago and ended twenty minutes ago for lunch, so in about ten minutes, I need you out on the field and ready to start. Got it, babe?" Aden informs me.

"Yes, Alpha," I sighed, slightly mocking him.

He jokingly glared at me and kissed me softly, "don't push it, Luna."

After quickly putting on work out gear, I jogged over to the far end of the field. I watched Aden bark orders at the teenagers that stood before him. They didn't look too scary. All of them wore cohesive black bodysuits and stood at attention. Looking down at my outfit, I realized that maybe a sports bra and athleisure leggings wasn't my greatest decision.

As I got closer to the group, all the attention shifted to me causing Aden to turn around. "Cute," Aden complimented. I blushed at his comment in front of ten fifteen-year-olds. "Get in line please." I did as I was told and waited for his instruction. "So before our quick break, we were practicing boxing. How to stand, how to block and punch. Although you think that fighting in your human form is useless, it is extremely important.

"Yes, you are werewolves; one of the strongest species on the planet, but that does not mean you're invincible. You may heal quickly and you may hit hard, but what's the point of healing if you're going to get hurt again and gain due to your ignorance?" Aden spoke. He had a point. There's no point in fighting if you don't know how to defend yourself. You'll continuously get hurt, yeah you'll heal but you won't know how to stop yourself from getting hurt.

"Now, everyone get in partners and stand in your initial fighting stance," he commanded. Quickly, all of the kids ran over to each other and stood in position. I was left exactly where I was. Of course, no one chose me, it's high school all over again. "Since we have a new member, our new Luna, I need someone to volunteer to teach her what we've learned so far. Any volunteers?"

"Aden, it's okay, I can watch-" I started.

"No, you need to start learning," Aden nodded. He turned to the kids, "who has a birthday coming up?"