Two

© All copyrights belong to StarsAndMoon1447 on Wattpad

*

Originally published: 10th May 2020

****

The front door opened, and I expected a butler on the other side. 

Instead, I saw a woman a neat blonde bob cut, wearing a dark blue half-sleeve dress, and black high heels. 

"Hi, Mother!" Jeremy greeted her, kissing her cheek.

"Jeremy." She said, stiffly, her gaze on me.

"Mother, this is Jasmina." Jerry gestured towards me. "Jasmina, this is my mother." 

"Hello, Mrs Newton." I took out a bouquet of flowers that I'd slipped into my cream tote bag. "These are for you." 

"Thank you." She accepted it, her tone still icy. "Come inside."

"Where's Father?" Jeremy asked as we walked into the living room.

"He'll be down here in a minute." She replied. "Have a seat. I'll be right back."

Jeremy and I sat down on a two-seat sofa that looked more expensive than my flat. 

Jeez, and I thought my relatives back home went over the top in decoration!

"She hates me." I whispered to Jeremy.

"She doesn't hate you." He shrugged. "Mother's just not the warmest person in the world, that's all." 

Yeah, sure, that's the reason.

I tapped my foot nervously, glancing around the huge room. There was a huge family portrait over the fireplace, the kind you see on the walls of pretentious people in films. The sofas were leather and shining like they had just been delivered by the store that they'd been bought from. There was not a thing out of place on the glass coffee table, and not a speck of dust anywhere. The windows were huge, and covered the almost the entire length of the wall between the floor and the ceiling.

"Jas, trust me, okay?" He whispered.

We heard footsteps coming from somewhere in the hallway.

Suddenly, I thought that this was a very bad idea, and I just wanted to run.

"Jerry!" I gasped, panicking.

"Relax. I'm with you." He smiled reassuringly.

Mr and Mrs Newton walked into the room, both frowning. Mr Newton was a tall, imposing man. He was an MP, which made him more intimidating somehow.

I stood up immediately, and Jeremy followed suit, looking much more relaxed than I felt.

"H-Hello, Mr Newton." I stammered.

He didn't reply. He just glanced from Jeremy, to me, and then back. "What does she do?"

Ouch! I'm right here, excuse me!

"Father, Jasmina's a personal assistant." Jeremy remained calm.

Mrs Newton scoffed. "Personal assistants are only suited to be mistresses, not wives." 

I reeled back as if she'd just slapped me hard across the face.

I glanced at Jeremy, incredulously. He was silent and expressionless.

"You're a Newton, and you have a bright future." Mr Newton said. "But that only depends on who you marry. If you marry a personal assistant, you can say goodbye to your inheritance."