Sixty Two

© All copyrights belong to StarsAndMoon1447 on Wattpad

*

Originally published: 13th September 2020

Two days later, Zafar Bhai drove me to the airport with Hania. He didn't think it was a good idea for Fawad to come, or to even drop us off. 

I apologised genuinely to Dadi and Nilofar Phupho before I left, and then as I came downstairs, Fawad was standing outside the room, holding onto Hania, looking at her as if he was unsure that he'd ever see her again.

"Zafar Bhai's waiting outside." I said, tonelessly.

"Yes, the luggage is already in the car." He didn't look up at me. He kissed Hania's forehead, staying like this for a few moment, as if letting her go was the hardest thing he'd ever had to do in his life. I reached out for her, but he shook his head. "I'll bring her to the car, don't worry." 

We stared at each other for a few moments, a lot of words left unsaid between us: apologies, expression of our love for each other, and so, so much more. I broke away first, walking into the room to grab my bag and Hania's baby bag. 

"Allah Hafiz. Apna khayal rakhna." He gave me a quick kiss on the cheek.

*Translation: Take care of yourself.

"Aap bhi. Allah Hafiz." I said, softly, as we walked out.

*Translation: You too.

Seriously. That's all we exchanged, a kiss on the cheek.

"If you don't mind, I'm going to sit in the back, Zafar Bhai." I said as we approached his car. It didn't feel right for me to sit in the front passenger seat next to a man who was not my husband.

"No problem at all." Zafar Bhai replied. 

I looked at Fawad, my eyes probably filled with longing. I wanted to throw my arms around him, apologise and not go. I didn't want to leave him at all, not even one percent. Why did I do this?

"Keep me updated, in transit and when you land." He said, looking at me intensely. He then glanced down at Hania. "Meri jaan, Mama ka khayal rakhna. Unay mujhe zyada miss na karne daina, okay?"

*Translation: Take care of Mama. Don't let her miss me too much, okay?

I was this close to bursting into tears, so I turned away, dropping Hania's baby bag and my own bag into the back seat before sliding in. He kissed Hania's cheeks, her forehead, and again her cheeks, before handing her over to me.

"May Allah protect you both." He said. 

"May Allah protect you as well." I gave him a small smile, before he closed the door. I put my sunglasses on, even though it was early morning and the sun was barely up. I wanted to hide my tears from everyone.

Zafar Bhai shook Fawad's hand, before getting into the driving seat. We drove off down the uneven residential roads towards the main road.

There's a reason why Ammi says that you shouldn't part ways while angry. Life is unpredictable, so you should always part ways with your loved ones without holding any grudges.