Thirty Four

© All copyrights belong to StarsAndMoon1447 on Wattpad

*

Originally published: 19th August 2020

****

Pregnant. Like, with a baby.

Umm...what else would I be pregnant with, you weirdo?

I paced around the bedroom, waiting for that husband of mine to return.

This seemed unreal. How can I be a mother? I always run to my other mother for the smallest things, even now! 

"Maybe this is a false-negative." I chewed my nail, a habit that I didn't normally have. "No, how can a blood test be a false-negative?" 

Maybe Bhabi asked Dr Khan to prank me! I rolled my eyes at my own silliness. Yes, because Bhabi, who wants to specialise in gynaecology, would prank her colleague's patient.

I put my hands over my stomach. "I wish you luck, kid. You have me as your mother. We're both lucky that at least Fawad is sensible." 

A mixture of emotions swirled through me: nervousness, excitement, confusion and a happiness that was of an unexpectedly large quantity.

My baby.

Our baby.

"Get home, doctor." My eyes drifted to the clock on the wall. It was almost eleven at night.

I sat down on the bed, resting against the headboard, and I was just drifting off when I heard the front door unlock down the hall. I jumped off the bed, taking a deep breath, my heart racing away in my chest. 

A few moments later, Fawad appeared in the doorway of our bedroom, and I just rushed up to him, wrapping my arms around his waist. "Assalam Alaikum!" 

"Walaikum Assalam!" Taken by surprise, it took a couple of seconds for him to wrap his arms around me. "Very happy to see me, are you?" 

I tilted my head back and looked up at him. He had a small amused smile on his face, and his gaze on me was adoring. "I was bored." 

"Right, and I'm just your entertainment?" He kissed my forehead. "Let me wash up, jaan." He gently pulled away and headed into the bathroom, after setting his things on the bedside table. 

I sat back down on the bed, casually grabbing his phone. As I pressed the home button, I was surprised to see my photo as his wallpaper. How had I not noticed that before? It was the one taken by a professional photographer at Arhaan Bhai's wedding, with me wearing my rose gold lehenga. It was a candid photo, where I was smiling at someone out of view of the camera. I have to admit, that's a good photo of me. I set his phone back down. 

He came back out, shirt unbuttoned, and headed straight to the wardrobe. I nervously went over to him, and circled my arms around his waist from behind, my fingers brushing his toned stomach.

"What happened?" He asked, softly. "You don't want to let go of me today." He turned around and I pressed my forehead against his chest, breathing in his scent.