Thirty

© All copyrights belong to StarsAndMoon1447 on Wattpad

*

Originally published: 16th August 2020

****

Fariha's POV

Ammi had been acting dodgy recently. Shaheena Aunty, the most well known matchmaker, was regularly visiting our house. Since Ammi wasn't good friends with her, I was feeling suspicious. I began to worry that she was already searching for a new husband for me, even before my divorce was finalised. One day, I confronted her in the kitchen, as she made tea.

"What are you doing?" I demanded.

"Drinking tea." She didn't even look up from her mug, as she poured boiling water into it. "Would you like some?" 

"Why does Shaheena Aunty keep coming over?!" I was furious. "Ammi, I'm not even divorced yet, and you didn't even ask me about it!" 

"She didn't come here for you." She replied, simply.

"Not for me? Who was she here for then? Bhai?" I laughed, sarcastically.

She didn't look up or meet my gaze.

"Ammi, you're joking, right?" 

"Why would I joke about wanting my son to be happy?" 

"He is happy!" 

"His wife and her family have caused him nothing but trouble!" She poured milk in her mug as casually as if we were discussing the weather. "And Kinza is a nurse, she's beautiful and I saw them talking, and let me tell you, beta, they look good together." She smiled. "I even think that Kinza might have a little crush." 

"Bhai's happily married!" I practically yelled. 

"Lower your tone while talking to me, Fariha Ali." She said, disapprovingly. "And I will make sure that Jasmina is out of his life for good. He doesn't deserve all that drama. That worthless, pathetic Ahad beat him up for no reason!" 

"How's that Bhabi's fault?!" I asked, confused. "I'm sure she would be furious at her brother as well, if she knew." 

"She does know! I told her. And yet, she isn't here yet." She raised an eyebrow. "What does that say about her? She finds out that her husband was in the hospital, and she it's been two days and she still isn't here." 

"Ammi, I'm begging you, don't do this!" I said, pleadingly. "My life was destroyed, and it devastated you all, and yet you're doing the same to someone else's daughter. And since Bhai's not ever going to agree to this, he'll walk away with her and you'll be responsible for breaking up our family." 

"I'm his mother, Fariha. I have my ways to convince him." 

Her words actually terrified me. What was she planning? "I'm telling Papa and Bhai." 

"If you do that, I will leave this house and you all will never see me again." She warned me. "Do you want that? Do you want to lose your mother over a girl who brings nothing but pain and destruction in your brother's life?"