Thirty Two

© All copyrights belong to StarsAndMoon1447 on Wattpad

*

Originally published: 17th August 2020

****

Jasmina's POV

Thunder growled in the sky, which was covered by a thick layer of dark clouds, and rain poured down hard and endlessly. The scent of wet earth filled my nose, making me smile. When I was in London, the same weather made me miserable and irritated, but in Lahore, it felt beautiful and romantic.

"I want to get soaked in the rain, and jump in puddles." I whispered, staring out at the passing scenery as we drove towards my in-laws' house.

"You can do that after we deal with this." Fawad replied, almost absent-mindedly.

I glanced his way. His gaze was on the road, but he seemed to be miles away. "We don't have to do this, jaan." 

He looked at me quickly, before returning his gaze on the road. "You know, it's a common mentality by the mother-in-law that no matter what she does, her son will support her. Often, they expect the sons to take their mothers' side over their wives, no matter who's wrong. I have to make her realise that it's not going to happen in our case." 

"Fawad..."

"Jasmina, if you trust me, just let me handle it." 

I nodded, before turning back to stare out of the window. I thought about a difficult confrontation that I was supposed to have: with Ahad Bhai.

Family isn't supposed to hurt each other the way ours have been hurting us.

"Fawad?"

"Hmm?" 

"I'm sorry." 

He looked surprised. "For what?" 

"For what Ahad Bhai did." I felt tears in my eyes. "I'm so sorry. I can't even begin to apologise properly."

"Why are you apologising?" 

"Because he's my brother, unfortunately."

"Mina, if we start apologising for our family's actions, I would never be able to stop apologising to you for everything that Ammi's done so far, let alone everything that she'll definitely do in the future." He paused. "And he punched Arhaan as well, so I'm not offended." 

"He punched Bhai as well?!" I shook my head. "What the hell is wrong with him, going after the two nicest people in our lives?! I'd like to see him try and punch me, and I'll teach him a lesson!"

"He tries that and I'll kill him." He said, his jaw clenching. "I held myself back when it came to defending myself, but for you, I would take his life." 

We got to his parents' house and I clutched his arm nervously as we jogged up to the front door, getting pelted by the rain.

Aunty answered the door. "Fawad!"

"Assalam Alaikum." We both greeted her.

"Walaikum Assalam." Her gaze turned into a disapproving one when she turned to me. "You're back."