Eight

© All copyrights belong to Star Elle Woods on Wattpad

*
MEHENDI

It was almost the big day. We were doing things a little differently this time as my Nikaah was going to be right before the mehendi ceremony.

For the Mehendi, I chose the same dress as I had for the original day.

I didn't attach bad memories to outfits. All I knew is that when I bought that dress, I was super excited to marry Fawad, despite all the events that had followed.

The Mehendi was held at Fawad's house this time, as insisted by his parents.

I was taken to a separate room, where the Imam sat on one side of me, my Papa on the other, and the rest of my family surrounding me.

To my absolute delight, Elena had flown in for my wedding. She had said that there was no way that she was going to miss it. Now, she stood beside Ammi and Sadia Bhabi, holding Belle in her arms.

"Jasmina Sheikh, daughter of Asad Sheikh, do you accept this Nikaah to Fawad Ali, son of Ali Mansoor?" The Imam asked me.

"Qabool Hai." I said, meaning that I accepted.

The Imam repeated the question.

"Qabool Hai." I replied again.

And again, a third time.

"Qabool Hai." I said. I heard Ammi sniffing nearby. I could just tell that it was her, without even looking.

I then signed the Nikaah paperwork, and the Imam then started reading supplications loudly, for our blissful marriage and happiness, and everyone raised their hands in prayer.

Everyone congratulated each other and my mother hugged me tightly, sobbing.

"Appi, let's go." Mars told her gently. Holding her by the shoulders, she led Ammi out of the room.

Elena squealed, immediately copied by Belle. "You're almost married! I'm so excited!"

"I'm so nervous." I admitted.

"Babe, he's an incredible guy." She said, quietly. "He clearly loves you a lot. You'll both be very happy together."

'In Sha Allah!' I thought in my head.

A short while later, Mars returned, smiling. "Let's go for your mehendi, Mrs Fawad."

In Pakistan, and some other cultures as well, kids generally take their father's first name as their surname (not including my family), and women who choose to change their surname, take their husband's first name. I definitely chose to change as I found the concept very romantic.

"Congratulations!" Mars hugged me, looking tearful. "May Allah bless you both with a long and blissful life together. Ameen."

Elena hugged me then, also crying now. "Congratulations, babe."