Forty One

© All copyrights belong to StarsAndMoon1447 on Wattpad

*

Originally published: 25th August 2020

*

"Bhai?" I called out as I entered the flat.

There was no answer. He probably still wasn't back home from work yet.

The moment I realised that I was home alone, I burst into tears. I threw my bag onto the bed with a frustrated cry and sank down onto the floor, sobbing hard. Since we were kids, we were taught to set our pride and ego aside when it came to do the right thing. Apologising doesn't make you the lesser person. I have made a mistake but I was too proud to own up to it and apologise to Fawad.

I was about to be a mother, for God's sake! Was this what I was going to teach my kids? 

I reached into my bag and took my phone out. My fingers hovered over the contacts list, ready to dial my husband's number. I was cheesy and I had changed his name to 'Jaan' in my phone. For a girl who claimed to love her husband unconditionally, I had been treating him like garbage. 

He said that we can still fix it, so let's fix our relationship!

Shaking my head, I tossed my phone aside. 

The doorbell rang and I glanced up with a frown. Ahad Bhai had his own key, so who could it be?

I left the room and headed down the corridor towards the front door. "Who is it?" 

"Jazzy, it's me." Arhaan Bhai's warm voice came through, and I opened the door before pushing open the screen door.

"Assalam Alaikum." I said.

He patted my head. "Walaikum Assalam." 

I stepped aside to let him in. 

"Is Ahad at work?" He glanced around.

"Yes." We walked into the small living room and sat down on the sofa. "Can I get you something? A cold drink or tea?" 

He looked at me. "Let's cut the formalities, Jazzy. You know why I'm here." 

"Did Fawad tell you?" I glanced towards the window. The other apartment building was quite close, and I could see a middle aged woman hanging out her washing on her balcony directly across from us. 

"I'm his best friend, the closest thing to a brother." He leaned forward, resting his forearms on his knees. "You want to talk to me?" 

I didn't reply, but Bhai knew that if he pressured me just the right amount, I would end up talking to him about everything. I felt comfortable talking to Arhaan Bhai. He listened without judging you, and rather than shoving his advice down your throat, he simply gave 'suggestions' or 'his opinions'. 

"Jasmina, beta," He rubbed his beard thoughtfully. "Listen, let's pretend for one second that this situation had occurred with us. I'm your elder brother, and I'm telling you myself that I understand why Fawad didn't speak up much." 

"Bhai..." I opened my mouth to argue.

"Just hear me out, beta." He said, gently. "He told me that he had been worried about Fariha because she hadn't cried about it, or she hadn't even spoken to anyone about it. That's not healthy. So when she finally spoke, he let her. He was letting her pour her emotions out because it was something that Fariha really needed. He'd been trying to explain that to you, but he says that he was unable to reach you."