Nineteen

© All copyrights belong to StarsAndMoon1447 on Wattpad

*

Original: 29th July 2020

****

When I got to Elena's house, I saw Brett's car parked outside. 

I rang the doorbell and waited impatiently, confused. Brett's car was here, but Elena hadn't told me that he was back. Maybe he didn't take the car?

The door opened and Elena stood there, her hair a mess, and no makeup on. She wore pink and blue flannel pyjama trousers and a cropped tee. "Jas!" She threw her arms around me. "I'm so sorry." 

Brett appeared in the living room doorway behind her. "Yeah, you really should be."

"What's going on?" I looked at him, puzzled.

"We did have an argument." He explained. "I told her not to call you here, but she did. That was the topic of our argument."

"Can someone please explain?!" I took a step back, away from Elena.

"I could have handled it!" Brett looked irritated.

"Jeremy would have made crap up and spread it around social media!" She argued. "Whether we like it or not, he's still famous, being Jeremy Newton, son of disgraced MP Newton. Jeremy still has followers! He would have publicly humiliated Jas!" 

"Wait... is that why you called me?!" I asked, stunned. "Because Jeremy made you?!" 

"I was worried about you." Elena grabbed my hand. "I know how much your reputation is important in your culture. He would have ruined you." She paused. "Just meet Jeremy once, and then you won't ever have to again. Just talk to him, please." 

"I can't!" I cried. "I promised Fawad that I won't have any contact with him." 

"Fair enough." Brett nodded. "I'll take over from here. Sorry about the inconvenience my wife caused you, Jas." 

"But, what about..." Elena looked at him.

"I'll handle it, Len." He said, looking pointedly at her.

"What else?" I asked.

She sighed, turning back to me. "Jeremy knew that you won't agree. So he threatened to expose our family secrets, to convince you." 

I froze.

"Jas, I keep telling her. My people are working on it as we speak." Brett assured me. "You don't need to worry." 

Elena and Brett had faced their own family drama while Elena and I were at uni. Brett was the sole heir of the Bellemer Group. Brett had been the typical playboy before marriage, and his mother Sam Worthington, had set up his marriage to Elena temporarily to clear up his image. She'd actually wanted Brett to marry Brianna Connors, an heiress of another business empire. But Brett had fallen in love with Elena, and had refused to leave her. His parents had threatened to disown him until a chance meeting with a lawyer exposed the truth to Brett: his parents were just trustees and Brett was the real owner of the empire. Apparently, Brett's grandfather hadn't trusted Jack Worthington enough to let him become an actual heir. Jack had been arrested, but the real reason had been kept from the media. All people knew was that he was involved in fraud. 

"You mean, where Brett's father tried to keep him from his own property?" I asked.

Elena nodded. "And you know how much scandal can damage a business. People have already questioned Brett's ability to run an empire by himself, as well as the damage caused by his father's arrest for fraud. If this gets out, the PR advisers told Brett that it could cause serious damage."