Forty Seven

© All copyrights belong to StarsAndMoon1447 on Wattpad

*

Originally published: 31st August 2020

Fawad

"What are you doing here?" I asked, wearily, leaning against my front door.

Arhaan held up a bag with delicious aromas wafting out of it. "Ammi sent some food." 

"But that's not why you're here." I knew him too well.

"Well, Jasmina didn't think you'd want to talk to her right now." He stepped past me into the flat. "And so, here am I." 

Actually, she's the only one that I want to talk to right now. I sighed. "Listen, Bhai, no offence, but I'm really tired."

"Well, you have to eat anyway, so I'll stick around until then." He flopped down onto the living room sofa, spreading his arms across the back of it.

"Why aren't you killing me for the way I treated your sister?" I asked, suspiciously.

"If it was anyone else, I would have done so." He glanced around as if he was visiting for the first time. "But I have known you since we were in nappies, bro. So, spit it out." 

"It's just work s**t." I dropped down into the armchair, burying my face in my hands. 

"We face a lot of s**t in our work, but you never take it out on family, as far as I know you." He leaned forward, resting his forearms on his knees.

"I've been very unfair to Mina." I ran my hands through my hair. 

"You need to talk this out with her." He said. "I won't question you if you don't want to talk about it, but you definitely need to talk to her. She's your wife, bro." 

I nodded. "I know."

"Shall I set up a date for the two of you tomorrow?" He grinned cheekily. "We don't have to let Fatima Aunty know."

"What are we, teenagers?" I rolled my eyes. Then I seriously considered his suggestion. "You know what? Do that. I need to seriously make it up to her." 

****

After a night of restlessness, I fell asleep only after Fajar prayer. It was hard to not talk to her, but I'd left her a simple 'sorry' message for now, to which she replied that we needed to talk.

I went to the cafe that Arhaan and I had agreed upon, a popular place for office workers, as there were a lot of people scattered around at various desks, working on laptops, with steaming cups of coffee or other hot beverages resting beside them. Apart from that, it was generally quiet, as most people started coming in after the late afternoon.

The waiter came up to me twice to ask for my order, but I said that I was waiting for someone, and as ten minutes turned to fifteen, I started to doubt if she was even coming. As soon as I was losing hope, the guard opened the glass door and Jasmina walked in. Wearing black tights, a long sleeved grey maternity shirt, with a loose grey and cream checked scarf hanging around her neck, she looked perfect as usual. Her hair blew around her face in the breeze from the open door, and she took off her sunglasses, peering around the cafe until her gaze landed on me.