Twenty Three

© All copyrights belong to StarsAndMoon1447 on Wattpad

*

Original: 9th August 2020

****

Jasmina's POV

I was irritated and I literally wanted to break everything in sight. I don't know what was wrong with me, but it started when I was discharged from the hospital and Fawad took me home.

"Why are we here?" Annoyed, I looked up at my in-laws' house as we waited for the guard to open the gate. "I want to go home to our flat." 

"Mina, it's only for a few days." Fawad sighed. "The doctor actually recommended it because Papa's a neurosurgeon."

"I'm married to a doctor." I almost snapped. "Shouldn't that be enough?"

"Mina, please." He squeezed my hand as he turned off the ignition once we'd pulled up into the driveway.

I didn't answer, and just silently got out of the car. I winced as a sharp jolt of pain seemingly ran from my forehead to the back of my head.

"You okay?" Fawad immediately came around and grabbed me by my shoulders.

"You're babying me." I complained. "I'm fine." 

Patient as always, he nodded and watched me cautiously as we walked towards the front door together. The door was unlocked and as we entered, Aunty came out into the foyer. 

"Oh, good. You guys are here." She smiled warmly. She walked over and a sweet swell of ittar overwhelmed my senses.

*Ittar/Attar: Arabic perfume that doesn't contain alcohol. 

"How are you, Jasmina?" She stared at me carefully from behind her glasses. 

I couldn't even manage a fake smile. "Aunty, is it okay if I stay at my parents' house?" The words slipped out of my mouth before I could stop them. The only way I could describe how I felt at that time was how I feel a day or so before my periods, or when it's hot and there's a fly that just wouldn't go away, buzzing close to my ear. 

Fawad looked at me, surprised. "Mina?" 

Aunty glanced at him before returning her gaze towards me. "If Fawad doesn't have a problem with that, sure." Once again, she turned to her soon. "Beta, why don't you take her now so that she can go and rest?"

Hesitantly, Fawad nodded, and we headed back out to the car.

"Mina, are you okay?" He asked me, almost cautiously. I began to feel a little guilty as I felt like he was treating me as if I was a ticking bomb, and that one wrong action on his part will cause me to explode.

I sighed, burying my face in my hands. "I'm sorry. I don't mean to be so moody, but I can't help myself." 

"I know, the doctor said that the medication is pretty strong." He said, understandingly. "That, and your head injury is resulting in this." 

As we drove, he asked, "Mina, do you remember how this happened to you?"

This question had been inevitable, and I had been waiting for it. I slowly shook my head, staring out at the passing houses of Defence. 

"You have no idea who hit you on the head and left you unconscious in the storage room?" He pressed, gently.

"I don't." Again, I didn't look at him.