Thirty Seven

© All copyrights belong to StarsAndMoon1447 on Wattpad

*

Originally published: 21st August 2020

****

Fawad's POV

I sat facing my little sister in the living room of my flat. Mina had claimed that she needed a nap, but I knew that she was politely giving us space.

"Bhai, I'm sorry." Fariha looked genuinely upset. "I know you're against this." 

"I thought Ammi was as well." I was bewildered. "What changed her mind?" 

"You know how it is." She shrugged. "It's better to marry than be disrespected in society. I never thought Ammi was that type of person, but I guess you never know unless you're in a situation like this." 

I leaned back on the sofa, staring at her thoughtfully. "You took this decision, so I guess that you carefully thought about everything? Of course the boys are the first priority, but you're just as important, Fari." 

"I've thought things through, Bhai." She nodded.

"I have to be honest with you, Fari. I don't think this is a good idea." 

"I understand. Any brother would be worried after what Ahad did, but we've both known Ahad his whole life. He messes up, but he always comes around." 

"I don't want him to mess up your life." 

"You just need to remember that I'm not that nineteen-years-old naive girl anymore." She reassured me. "I'm independent, I'm a mother. I can make good judgements." 

"Fine." I said, begrudgingly. "I'm trusting your instincts, fairy."

She laughed. "Aww, that crazy nickname." 

"You used to dress up like a fairy all the time at one point, remember?" 

We chatted about childhood memories for a bit, before I realised that she looked awkward. "What?" 

She cleared her throat. "Is Bhabi pregnant?" 

I was actually unsure how to answer that. Should I be honest or should I keep it a secret?

She grinned. "I've known her as long as she's been alive, as well. She's regularly made it clear how much she hates lamb dishes. But she was perfectly fine with eating it yesterday during the interrupted birthday dinner, and she seemed to love it as well. Plus she kept putting her hand over her stomach." 

"Don't tell anyone. Only our mothers and Sadia Bhabi know at the moment." 

"So, every female in the families knew, apart from me?" She narrowed her eyes at me. "And, don't worry. You can trust me." She squealed. "Oh my God, I'm going to be a Phupho! Ma Sha Allah!" She got up, pulled me to my feet and gave me a hug. "Congratulations, Bhai!" 

"Congratulations to you too." I patted her head.

I was trying to convince myself that maybe I was being too paranoid, but the nagging feeling that this wasn't right wouldn't leave me alone.

Just trust Fariha. She knows what she's doing. 

****

NIKAAH

Ahad's POV

Our families didn't want to wait to long because of all the gossip that had been going around. The weekend after they decided that Fariha and I would get married, they set the Nikaah date.