Thirty One

© All copyrights belong to StarsAndMoon1447 on Wattpad

*

Originally published: 16th August 2020

****

"Assalam Alaikum." I opened the door and stepped aside, and immediately caught the scent of puri channay. My stomach growled immediately. "Wow, I'm starved." 

"Walaikum Assalam." Fawad pecked my lips as he began to move past me. "So am I." With a wink, he headed into the kitchen, seemingly setting my cheeks on fire by the innuendo.

"Should I be congratulating you on the Nikaah?" I cautiously asked, wondering if I even should be making a joke like that or not.

He grinned at me as he washed his hands at the kitchen sink, before taking out plates. "Yeah, you should. In fact, I've just dropped her off at my other flat." 

I was getting more and more confused by his behaviour every second that passed by, so I decided to be direct. "Okay, drop the act. Start the yelling." 

He emptied the foil container of channay into a bowl, before doing the same with the halwa

"Why aren't you mad at me?" I snapped, frustrated.

He looked amused. "Are you mad that I'm not angry at you?" 

"Yes!" I shook my head. "This is not normal behaviour, even for Mr Calm, like yourself!" 

"Try this." He took a spoonful of the chick pea curry and held it out. "Arhaan and I accidentally discovered this new place a few days ago. How delicious is this?" 

Still sulking a little, I opened my mouth and he fed me. "Allah! I'm really back in Lahore." I groaned at the deliciousness that had seemed to make my taste buds dance in excitement. 

"Nice?" He smiled, as he stepped up really close to me. 

"Are you trying to make me feel guilty or something?" I asked. "Because if you are, it's definitely working." Then I glanced down at the table. "Is someone else coming? Because this food is too much just for the two of us."

I glanced down at my outfit automatically. I was wearing a lemon yellow kameez with a white capri shalwar and a white lace dupatta. 

As if on cue, the doorbell rang and Fawad went to answer it. A couple of minutes later, he returned, followed by Fariha and...the girl from the photo.

I tensed up.

"Assalam Alaikum, Bhabi!" Fariha gave me a hug. 

"Walaikum Assalam." I whispered.

"Kinza, this is my wife, Jasmina." Fawad introduced us. "Mina, this is Kinza, a nurse at the hospital where I work." 

"Assalam Alaikum." Kinza nodded at me, politely.

"Walaikum Assalam." I replied.

Kinza held out a bag from a local bakery towards me. "This is for you guys."

"You didn't have to." I said, as I took the bag from her. "But thank you." 

"Let's take the food inside. It's getting cold." Fawad said, grabbing the bowl of channay before walking out of the kitchen.

As we settled down to eat in the living room, I glanced at Fariha, puzzled, but she was too busy serving channay onto Kinza's plate.

"So, there's been a bit of a misunderstanding." Fawad spoke up as we ate. "Ammi approached Kinza about my marriage to her."