Twenty

© All copyrights belong to StarsAndMoon1447 on Wattpad

*

Original: 30th July 2020

****

"Aren't you mad at me?" I brought the cup of coffee to my lips, my gaze on Fawad.

We were both sitting in my living room, my legs resting on his lap, drinking coffee prepared by him. He made seriously delicious coffee. God, is there anything that this man can't do?

"I was...initially. I was seriously pi**ed, actually." 

"What happened then?" 

He cleared his throat. "I'm too tired to get into another argument." 

I winced. "Your Ammi?" 

He looked at me. "I can't really blame her for worrying about me, but..." He tilted his head back onto the sofa, staring up at the ceiling.

"I deserve this." I admitted, shrugging.

He grabbed my hand with his free hand. "You get why she's mad though, right? This has been blown way out of proportion in the media, but anyone who sees the photo would think that you two are on a date. Because social media is such a huge thing now, this photo has spread amongst our social circles in Lahore." 

"And anything that makes me look bad, makes the family look bad." 

"Exactly." He nodded. "Mina, I trust you, you know that, but we have our cultural limits. You cannot be seen with your ex like this anymore. You're married, and both our families are respectable; none of us needs this." 

"It's not going to happen again because I have no intention of seeing him again." 

"That would be for the best." He said. "Block his number and please make sure you have no further contact with him." 

My husband was open-minded. If Jeremy was just my university best friend, Fawad wouldn't have a problem with me meeting him, even though technically, it doesn't look good. But based on what I'd seen with his extended family so far, his Phupho and Khalla namely, what I had done would be an utter disgraceful thing in their eyes. It was an act worthy of being thrown out of the house for, as Fatima Aunty had clearly shown me.

"I've done nothing but cause you embarrassment, right?" I lifted my legs off him, then moved over to rest my head against his shoulder.

He wrapped his arm around me. "I know that you never mean for these consequences of your actions. I know that your intentions are pure." He looked down at me. "But, frankly speaking, I'm kind of getting sick of Jeremy Newton always popping up." 

"It won't happen again." I said. "I broke my promise the last time, but not again. Just trust me the way you've always have." 

He kissed my forehead, and I snuggled up closer. "I'm going to make you something to eat. You need to have your medicine after that." 

"I'll just have the soup you made earlier." I said. "I don't feel like having anything else." 

"Mina..." 

"Please." I closed my eyes. The truth was that I didn't want him to move away from me. I wanted to stay here with him for as long as I could. He made me forget about every worry, every anxiety. 

***

"So, Jeremy shouldn't be a problem anymore." 

The next morning, feeling refreshed and a bit more relaxed, I stood in the kitchen, making breakfast.