Three

© All copyrights belong to StarsAndMoon1447 on Wattpad

*

Originally published: 11th May 2020

****

I was babysitting Belle one afternoon. She was asleep in her cot, and I was sitting in the living room, the nanny cam by my side.

As I typed away on my laptop, my phone buzzed.

I glanced down at the screen and rolled my eyes.

<JEREMY: Can we talk?>

I read the message, but didn't reply.

<JEREMY: Look, let me explain, please!> 

Ugh, leave me alone, Jeremy!

I continued writing.

A video call on my laptop interrupted me. 

Arhaan Bhai?

I answered the call, a huge smile on my face.

"Assalam Alaikum, Arhaan Bhai!" I greeted him.

"Walaikum Assalam." He seemed to be in the living room of our parents' house. "How are you, Jasmina? Where have you been?" 

My smile disappeared. "I was busy with work, Bhai. How are things there?" 

Ammi seemed to snatch the phone from him. "Jasmina, listen. Your Bhai's wedding date is fixed. It's in three weeks exactly, on the twenty-ninth. You have to be here early, do you hear me?" 

"Oh my God!" I shrieked. "That's wonderful! Congratulations to everyone!" 

"There's so much to do!" She was overexcited. "I wish you were here right now, Jasmina." 

"Ammi, relax." I said. "I'll come as soon as I can, but not too early. Brett's a good boss, and it's not fair for me to take advantage of the fact that we're friends." I glanced at Bhai. "You are the one who'll buy me my outfits for the wedding." 

"Get lost!"He laughed.

"Excuse me? I'm your only sister." I said. "And the youngest. I deserve some pampering."

"He's the groom, my love. He should be pampered." Ammi said. "When it's your turn, we'll pamper you too." 

My heart sank.

My turn.  They were expecting me to announce any day that Jeremy and I were ready to get married.

"Jeremy will have to wear a sherwani." Bhai said.

*A sherwani is a traditional wedding outfit for men in Pakistan/India. 

"Jeremy and I are not getting married." I spoke quietly. I didn't want to give them any false hopes any longer.

"What?" Ammi asked.

They both looked shocked.

"Apparently, he's not what I thought he was." I sighed. "Never mind. Good riddance. I dodged a bullet." 

Ammi looked at Bhai, incredulously. "I can't believe she's taking this so lightly!" 

"What am I supposed to do? Cry till I die?" I almost snapped. "I'm over it. And now I want everyone to fully focus on Bhai and his wedding and not my life." 

"Why didn't you tell us before?" Bhai asked, quietly.

"I was just putting it off." I shrugged.

"Jasmina." Ammi looked sad.