College

LENA POV

"Are you sure you don't need anything else? You have  enough blankets? Sheets, food? You have enough? Maybe we should stop by Target again. What do you think Lena? I mean incase you missed something baby. It's only an hour away." My wife rambles nervously as we were just about finished moving Frankie into the University of Southern California. It was a six hour drive and we had a blast singing in the car, and stopping for breakfast along the way. But the closer we got to LA the quieter my wife was. 

I knew it was hard for Stef, big time as she was thinking of every excuse not to leave even after we had hung all Frankie's posters, decorated her walls and bedding. Stef still insisted our daughter needed more and all day I could see she was trying so hard not to cry. But I had seen her this past week, how hard she was taking it and I knew her heart was breaking in half.

Her relationship with Frankie had changed so much in the last few years for these two had come such a long way despite the difficult teenage years Frankie gave us. At some point, well many points, I was almost sure Stef was going to kill her or she would end up in someones boot camp or convent. I had to admit I had my moments to where I was very worried about the constant poor choices and impulsive acts our daughter made over and over. But she had really pulled herself together the last two years and decided she wanted to work with patients recovering from TBI and study medicine and rehabilitation. It was true that Stef's stroke really impacted her in ways we never knew and at times she still feared her mother wasn't ok.

"Mama! No!" Frankie says now grabbing my wife's frantic hand. "It's ok I got everything, really. I'm good. Plus Mariana has stuff too! When she gets here I'm sure we will be set. Stop worrying so much Ma."

"I'm not worried babygirl. I just want to make sure you have everything that you need."

"I'm sure I do. I mean you literally bought out Target."

"Ok. I'm just gonna check the car one last time to make sure you didn't leave anything behind. Ok?"

"Ok." Frankie says shaking her head as I watch my wife rush out the room knowing she was going outside to cry buckets. I understood for I was going to miss this little girl more then life as she now turns to look at me.

"I've never seen Mama so nervous. Is she gonna be ok?"

"She will be fine. She will just miss you. That's all baby. You are the first to go away."

"Yeah I know and I feel so bad about it still. Maybe I shouldn't stay here Mama Lion." 

"Come here." Reaching my hand out for her Frankie walks over and takes a seat beside me on the bed. Affectionately I run my fingers through her long curls as she looks to me unsure. I can clearly see her heart is aching too for it had been a hard choice for her to come here. "What do you feel bad about sweetheart? Your Mama and I are very proud of you. You have come such a long way and made a tremendous about of progress in the last two years. Do you know  that?"

"Yeah. I just feel like I'm abandoning you all. Like, Baby Stef she's 15 and I'm not gonna be there for her to talk about boys and whatever else she needs. It's been hard for her with Callie and everything. And Noah, I mean he's going to college too and Andrew he got so big and I won't see him and Amelia grow. And my own brother, Jude. I feel like six hours is so far.  Are you guys gonna be ok? I know you will be but I worry about Mama alot. What if her memory goes again and...

"Listen," Gently I cup her chin as she looks at me with those intense hazel eyes. "You, do not have to take care of us. We told you that many, many, times. And neither your Mama and I want that. Her memory will be ok honey. It will and she's been doing very well."