What We Do

LENA POV 

Over the last few weeks Stef and I had met with Wilson a handful of times to go over our legal rights in terms of Callie's baby. There was of course still the question of who the father was, considering we had no clue and we were pretty sure Callie had no clue either. Even if this so called Chuckie was, who she planned on marrying was the birth father, he was just as unfit if not more to even think of caring for this baby.  In any regard Stef and I would still need proof in case he tried to fight us.

With our very troubled daughter being more then five months along by this point, based on the array of doctors my wife and I had spoken to and our own knowledge of babies born addicted to drugs we knew there was a very good chance Callie's baby could come early. Therefore Stef and I were both preparing the best we could as we had already purchased a crib, and a few other basic items. We also signed up for classes on how to care of babies that were going through withdrawl.

 We were also in touch with a specialist from the center we worked at for any questions and concerns that may arise, and we had the support of every possible family member we could.

Regardless of what Stef and I both knew about babies born addicted it could never really fully prepare you for what might happen. It really couldn't and what made matters worse was we had no idea what was even happening with Callie's pregnancy, how the baby was doing, nothing and we only had the information that she told Jude which was now scarce ever since the night of the party where she had shown up high. Now, he said she seemed to be dodging him except when she needed money. Which was always.

Jude never gave it to her, ever for he knew where it would go, up her arm and and up her nose.  Sadly, that was the reality of our daughter's situation and no matter what, we couldn't ignore it no matter how angry we were and no matter what damage she continued to cause with our family. Damage that would only get worse.

Did Stef and I feel inadequate like we weren't doing enough or had not done enough? Of course, for so many times we still wanted to just grab Callie and stick her in a treatment program, to force her to stay but we couldn't, and we had tried our hardest. We had tried everything, everything in our power and each time she ran off and hooked up with another guy, one worse then the next. 

A few other times we were blinded to see she was using and things started to disappear around the home. Many things she had stolen and sold to get high, things that meant a great deal to us.  Therefore whenever she did return to us we hid everything of any value in a safe that she was unaware of. Did we want to do that? No, but what choice did we have. None.

Being the people that that Stef and I were a few nights a week the both of  us headed over to the motel where Callie lived just to check on her. No, we never went inside and parked far enough away so she didn't see us but most nights we saw her walking off with Chuckie, or alone to god to knows where, and even coming back with another guy or girl.

It tore us up but I think Stef and I wanted to see if she was still alive, still breathing, and just what was going on if anything.  Did I want Stef coming along? No, but I knew she would go on her own without me anyway.

"I would just hate to think she fought all this time Stef, all this time to end up back there? To end up back in Chow." I say as she sips her tea glaring out the passenger window.

"Well, it maybe the only damm solution at this point. Unless we chain her to a damm bed. The way she is acting, Chow is basically calling her name. Maybe it would teach her ass a lesson, one that she didn't learn the first fucking ass time.  I mean I guess she likes having her babies born in jail and neither you or me would be there to help her ass this time. No one."

"Babe, you and I both know it wouldn't teach her much of anything, and this time I don't think she would survive Chow. You know drugs pass through that place like wildfire, sadly I think she'd die there this time. Or hook herself out."