12

"Man. Your dad is funny." Tyler laughs. I immediately drop the book I had just picked up and stare down at my shaking hands. I feel as if the world has frozen. Well as if I am frozen. I see things moving around me but I can't move. Am I dead. No, my dad is the one dead. I am fully alive and breathing,but not moving. I don't know why I am frozen. I remember Tyler saying my dad is funny. Oh yeah that's it. I suddenly start to feel myself fall. Luckily Tyler had just come over to pick up my book and was able to catch me before I could hit the ground. He picks me up and brings me over to the couch. He sets down with me on his lap. "Hey what is it?" He asks sympathetically. Since I can't speak I just cry. And cry. And cry. And cry. He hugs me and pulls me into his chest. "Shhh. Whatever it is it will be alright. You don't have to tell me." He says. I cry into his chest for a few minutes until my cries turn into sobs. I slowly end up stop crying after about thirty minutes. I sit up and reach for my whiteboard. He sees I am trying to get it and grabs it for me. I take the marker and start writing. When I write though I start crying again. 'That's not my dad.' I write. "Oh I am so sorry about that. I just assumed." Tyler states. 'My dad died in a car accident when I was 9.' I write. His face goes pale. "I know how you feel. My mom died in childbirth. I never got to know her but my dad said she was a wonderful woman." He says. I instantly feel sorry for him. He finally calms me down and then we start on our project. It is pretty easy actually. We have to do an experiment with the soil in different places. We set up the experiment today then we will start it on Saturday at my house again. It comes 6:00 when he leaves. I eat then go up to my room and fall asleep.