13

When I wake up on Thursday I know today will be better day. I decide to try to dress myself so I won't bother McKenna this early in the morning. It's 3:00 am and I can't sleep. So I take a shower and go downstairs. There is someone there but I can't quite see who it is. I get closer to see that it is Emma. She is eating veggie straws and half asleep. So, I go outside and sit on the porch. The stars are perfectly aligned and the moon is beautiful. I go back inside and get some paper and a pen. I go up to my balcony and bring Nala with me. I realize that there is a small ledge leading to the roof. I climb up there and lay down. I start to write.
Dear mom,
How are you? I know I probably can't call you anymore so I am writing you. I miss you so much. I am okay here but I could be better. School is going well. Did you know that aunt Mia is pregnant the weather is nice here although I haven't been down to the beach yet. Luke is fitting in well here. I truly think he belongs in California. I wish I could see you again. I will write you again soon.
Love,
Autumn
Ps I think I am going to join the dance team at my school.
I put down my pen and watch the stars with Nala. I wish life was the way it used to be when dad was still alive. I decide that today I will tell Tyler about my past. About how my dad died and how my mom lost her job. Also about how I live with my aunt and my uncle. I also decided to go down to the beach today after school. I'm going to ask Lily and Madison to come with me and to help me get ready for auditions for the dance team. Although my arm is broken they said they would let me try out. After about three and a half hours of thinking about the day I go back inside and get ready for school. Once I'm ready I take my letter to the mailbox and leave for school. I walk all the way there because I could use the exercise and want to be alone right now. I get to school then go to my first class. I get bored so I doodle a lot. Once lunch time comes around I grab a salad and eat alone. I decide to go outside to eat underneath the Willow tree. After five minutes I hear footsteps and decide to ignore them. The footsteps come towards me and I continue to ignore them until they stop in front of me.
"May I sit next to you?" The voice asks.
I didn't want to rude so I say sure. I don't look up at the person. They sit right next to me. I look over to see Tyler.
"Hey Tyler."
"Hey how are you?"
"Good. Listen I want to tell you about my past. Well need to. Will you please listen to me?"
"Sure. I will always be here for you. "
I take a deep breath before starting.
"It all started when I was 9. After my dad died in the car accident it got worse. My mom's job could only support us for so long. Then once I became a freshman at my school my brother shut me out. Not on purpose but he did. Some girl thought it would be funny to trip me down the stairs. That is when the bulling started. One time it got so bad I was passed out on the bathroom floor for the rest of the day. Did I tell anyone? No. I tried but no one listened. Life was hard. Thoughts of suicide would constantly run through my head. It never seemed to end. Them the bullies broke my nose and chipped my arm. I had surgery last week. I used to live in North Carolina until my mom lost her job. She made us come here until she could get back on her feet. I live with my aunt and uncle now. That was the man you saw." Tyler stares at me with wide eyes and mouth open.