37

Day 24
32 days to go

As I skimmed through the pages, my back against a pillow with my legs crossed out on the bed, I looked over to Gwen, placing the book down,

“Why am I fucking a lizard here again? Didn’t we just meet?”

Gwen turns, “It’s a one-shot, meetings are not the part I’m interested in writing.”

I brought the book back up, “Right…” I trailed, “wouldn’t that hurt? Like, it’s scales and stuff.”

Gwen gives a soft smile, “would you prefer the werewolf one?”

“I mean, I’m reading this to give feedback, not for my own enjoyment.” I pause, narrowing my brows at the mention of caressing a lizard face before continuing, “well…”

“Here, I’ll let you read the werewolf one.”

I chuckled as I got up from the bed, “I promise I’m not kink-shaming you, Gwen.” I smile as I crouch to open up a drawer, expecting her hidden fanfictions but being greeted with tons of letters. I raised a brow, “Gwen? What are these?” I grinned, “Love letters-...?” I drag out the s staring down at the words, “rejection letters?”

She sighs, “Yeah.” She then lets her body fall back in her chair. I look at the letter, then her,

“You’ve been trying to leave camp this whole time?”

“Well, yeah. Don’t tell me you actually enjoy it here.”

I fell back onto the floor, sitting to look up at her, “It’s not bad, Gwen.”

She flings her arms up, “It’s awful! Everything about this camp sucks!” She snatches the letter from my hands before placing them on her desk, “I don’t know what brought you to this camp, but I’m starting to think you’re just insane for it.”

I laugh at the comment, looking away as images of my dad flashed through my head, “Yeah, insane.” I then looked to her, “why would you?”

“Because no other place would hire me.”

I peek back into the cabinet drawer, “Are these all your rejection letters?”

“No, these are.” She opens another drawer, displaying countless papers. I pull a couple out to examine them,
“I didn’t even know there were this many job openings…” Putting the letters back, I shut the cabinet and look to her, “Why keep these a secret?”

“Do you have any idea how much David would flip if he found out I was trying to leave?”

I laugh sympathetically as I thought about my adorably, overly sensitive boyfriend, “Yeah…” I trailed before standing, “He would understand though, after some comfort hugs, of course.”

Gwen sighs, standing as well, “why don’t you see how he’s doing anyway. You can read my werewolf one later.”

I smiled gently, “Yeah, okay. I’ll be back soon, okay?”

She nodded, “Yeah, yeah.”

***

“A raid?” I ask, “They’ve been conducting raids?” I snort.

“You’re laughing?” David asks, carrying a box of activities out of the mess hall.

“It’s just funny to me.” My laughter slowly comes to a halt, “It probably shouldn’t be, though.” My eyes trail to David’s exhausted features, “Is everything okay?”

He sighs, “Nurf convinced Neil into making a wedgie machine, which I’m going to take care of now.”

With such a strong change in attitude, I can’t help but place a hand on his arm, “do you need any help?” I ask, giving him the softest eyes I could manage. David was always running to help his campers at any cost, even at his own expense, but lately, it’s as if his energy is drained whenever he no longer needs to put up a front for the kids. He places his hand on mine, giving a smile,