Day #29 Doing Somthing Sweet

Kind of an AU where John doesn't know Sherlock likes dogs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Sherlock!" John called.

Sherlock sat up and turned to look at John. "What?" he questioned.

John was hiding something. "Well since Rosies at a good age to get a pet and well I kinda." he trailed off. Something hit him in the back of the leg and he jumped. A golden furred puppy ran to Sherlock, jumping on his lap. Sherlock blinked and cocked his head at the dog in his lap. John worriedly ran over, concerned for mostly the dog's safety. Sherlock grinned and started petting the dog and cooing at it. He whispered praises and laughed as the dog licked his face. John stood dumbfounded just a foot away. "Who are you and what have you done with Sherlock Holmes."

Sherlock looked up, still smiling. "I'm still me John."

He looked happy. The only time John had seen Sherlock that happy was before the fall, before Mary, before Moriarty even. "I didn't know you liked dogs," John said smiling in adoration.

He missed Sherlocks smile. It disappeared after Moriarty showed up. John never thought he would see it again. He sat on the couch next to Sherlock, their thighs touching. Neither seemed to notice how close they were. John reached out and scratched behind the dog's ear. "I love dogs. And he is an exceptional golden retriever."

Sherlock looked over at John. Dilated pupils, elevated heartbeat, Sherlock could hear it. The look in his eyes. Couldn't be love. He always looked at Sherlock that way. He didn't look at Mary that way either. "It's nice to see you smile again." he whispered.

"John, I always smile," Sherlock said, looking concerned.

John chuckled. "No not like that," he said pointing at Sherlocks mouth. "Not like you're really happy. You always fake it. Fools most people, not me."

"I thought," he looked away.

"Thought what Sherlock?"

"You wanted to see me happy."

John exhaled, releasing he had been holding in a breath. "God Sherlock, I want to see you actually happy. I don't want you to look happy for me. You're your own person. Yes, I want to see you happy but well, actually happy?" He asked the last part like a question giving Sherlock a lopsided grin.

Sherlock smiled again. A real smile. He turned back to the puppy in his lap. "Are you going to let Rosie name him?"

"Yeah, unless you have any ideas."

"Casey."

John blinked. "Casey?"

"It's a good name."

The puppy yipped. "See even he agrees."

"Casey it is."

They smile at each other. John looks away. "Can I try something?"

"John you've always had my full permission."

"Ok," he said and kissed Sherlock.

It was a quick kiss, just a peck on the lips. "Oh," Sherlock gasped. "I was right."

"What?"

"You love me."

John sighed. "Yeah, I do."

"I love you too."

They both smiled, real smiled and kissed again. This one was a bit longer. Casey barked. "I have to go pick up Rosie," John said, pulling away.

"I hope she likes him."

"I'm sure she will, she takes after you after all."

John kissed Sherlock's cheek and stood up. Casey was a big part of Baker Street after that. It wasn't until Sherlock started calling him 'Case' did it finally click.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A ton of you think I used the name because of a blog post and yes that's part of it. I actually had a golden retriever named, Casey. We called him and orange keep away cause he was more orange than gold and wouldn't give the frisbee back.