AUTHOR'S NOTE

Hello, Loves!

I still cannot believe I'm writing an author's note because I cannot even believe I just finished a whole story, my first baby. But, hey, first things first:

I would like to thank everyone who read Scars and Skies Above, and for boarding with me on this flight with Mason and Gabby. You don't how happy it made me, I'm still in cloud nine!

I would also like to thank my RSB4K family because without them Scars and Skies Above would not happen. And without them, this story would still be hidden in my notes.

Scars and Skies Above was initially titled "What Happens When We Fall" but I changed it with a more appropriate one (I think). I wrote the plot and some chapters (chapters 1-2, 18-20, 29-31) five years ago when I was still in nursing school because I was inspired with the idea of it, but I revised it as I go along with the story. Originally, Mason was supposed to die at the end to show how strong Gabby is as she cope with her past and his death while fighting Jace herself in court. But I also changed it because I didn't want to kill my first ever book hero.

Now let's talk about why I chose a sensitive topic such as sexual abuse in my story:

Every 72 minutes, 1 woman or child is being sexually abused/harassed everyday in the Philippines— that is at least 20 cases per day too many. And the figure might be higher because not everyone report their cases to the authorities— like Gabby. Especially the victims who were silenced, the victims of their own family, the victims of the powerful, and victims who were mentally manipulated using fear tactics and threats.

Victims who were raped tend to limit their actions as part of their ego defense mechanism, and they live in constant fear for their safety. It was shown in the story when Gabby was doing an inspection in her condo (Gia's old condo) while holding a baseball bat in her hands the moment she enters the unit. She is afraid that it might happen again to her.

No one— men nor women— deserved to be abused, and no one must be stripped of control of their own bodies.

We need to speak up for ourselves and for the people who cannot do it themselves. We have to show the perpetrators that we are not afraid of them. It doesn't matter how small the act is, it must be brought to justice.

Let us not normalize sexual violence against women, and let us not tolerate rape jokes, "accidental" touches, use of misogynistic languages, objectification of our bodies, catcalling, victim blaming, "boys will be boys" attitude, and glorification of sexual violence because these things disregard women's rights and predispose us to assault.

Rape culture has to stop and it should begin with us.

I hope this story helped you understand what some people are going through, and what kind of skeletons are hiding in their closets, we might not see it but their scars run deep.

I also hope that I brought justice to Mason and Gabby's story.

Again, thank you so much for reading Scars and Skies Above, and for flying with Mason and Gabby as they experience turbulence and bumpy take offs.

Enjoy your flight. Thank you for choosing Scars and Skies Above. Alpas, Pilipinas. Maraming salamat.

The aircraft has finally touched down and safely reached the ground.

Captain Mason Adryx Madrigal and Doctor Gabriel Blair Hernandez-Madrigal now signing off.

SHAN
xxchordaetendineae

__________________________

UP NEXT:
Archer and Jules are ready to sing their hearts out in STARS AND MONSOON SKIES.