My Guardian ● Part 15

*Zayn’s POV*

My hands were bunched into fists by my side with my concentration just on the house a few feet in front of me. I was determined, I don’t even know why but I just knew I was furious and needed to do this. Something about seeing Sophia like that made me angry, I had seen her happy, I had seen what she could have instead of the pain from before the accident, I had seen what she had been like back then and to see her now like that, like she was about to lose all hope of a smile returning and nothing but the heartache remaining like last time, honest to god made me stupidly livid.

The worst thing was he had seen it all too, in fact he probably saw it better than me. Niall Horan knew her, he had spoken to her and seen both sides of her, he had seen the pain from just before she left a few years ago and now he had the opportunity to fix it and let her live a happy life for once, but no, that’s too much to ask I guess. He just had to go upset her again, even though he had seen how it could turn out once before. Did he seriously want to drive her away like that again?!

Next thing I knew I was there, I was stood right in front of the wooden door, just meters away from him, with only this stupid piece of wooden cover guarding him. I took a few deep breaths before banging on the door; if his parents answered they didn’t need to have me barging in right now. It wasn’t to do with them, I didn’t want to see them, I just wanted an explanation, I wanted answers from one person and one person only.

I let my hands knock loudly on the wood, jumping from one foot to the other to try and distract myself as I heard footsteps on the other side. I stopped my nervous movements, throwing my hands into my pockets and trying to look as normal as possible.

The door opened up a crack revealing Niall sticking his head out, not fully in case he had to shut the door quickly. We’d never met before; he probably had never heard of me, no one has really heard of me. Even though I’m there every day, I live just down the road from some of them, I used to go to the same school and classes as some of them and live the same lives yet people have still never noticed me. It’s like I’m not there, a bug on your windscreen or a wallflower just watching the world go by but never being really noticed. Louis was the only one who seemed to know I even existed sometimes.

I’d got used to it over the years now.

“Urm can I help you?” Niall looked unsure and warily probably curious as to why a stranger would be knocking on his door late at night.

“Can I come in?” I asked, making sure to stand tall and look calm, not revealing too much.

“I’m sorry but who are you?”

I rolled my eyes, typical really.

“I’m a friend of Sophia’s and I would like to speak to you about her, now.” The mention of Sophia seemed to get his attention, his eyes seemed to become wider and his senses seemed to be more alert.

He looked hesitant for a second before nodding and opening the door for me. This was probably the first time I’ve actually seen Niall Horan this close and personal, I’d watched him from a far, seen pictures and things but never thought about being steps away, being in his house or even speaking a word to him. It was just weird.

“Would you like a drink?” Niall asked heading to the kitchen and letting me follow him. Erg small talk with an awkward cup of tea, I couldn’t honestly think of anything worse. Why do people even bother offering tea to people who visit, is it meant to be kind or an ice breaker, because to me it just seems like another reason to not talk to people.

“No.” I looked around the house examining the cute little decorations that made it the obvious family home. I nearly scoffed at the stereotypical part of it all. The cute little family pictures around and about, from baby photos to now, the odd unneeded ornaments collecting dust, the scattered papers on the table from letters and notes, the family calendar on the wall with appointments such as ‘DENTIST NIALL 4:00’ or the plates from Niall’s obviously recently eaten, homemade tea. It looked like a typical home to others but to me it looked a bit like a fairytale.