6. Birthday (part 2)

Lunch is filled with jokes, stories, and great food. John B and I go back and forth telling embarrassing stories of each other while Sarah and JJ enjoy our banter. For the first time in what feels like forever, everything feels normal. We finish eating at 1:30, leaving a big gap in the day to do whatever. John B and Sarah decide to go on their own adventure, not giving any details so I assume it's something I don't want to know about. JJ and I head back to his truck to decide what our next move is.

JJ opens the door for me with a simple "m'lady" before getting in the driver's seat. I start brainstorming things to do in my head before he interrupts my thinking. "I know what we're gonna do," he says, smiling at me and starting the car.

"Care to fill me in? Surprises stress me out," I remind him. It's not like I hate surprises, quite the contrary. I love a good surprise party or present. But the stress of not knowing where someone is taking me? No thanks.

JJ puts his hand on mine in comfort, "I promise I'm not gonna kill you. You're gonna love this!" He smiles, assuring me it'll be okay. I shake off my nerves and turn on the radio, not wanting to pick out songs and be distracted from my surroundings.

I sing along to Ariana Grande when I feel my phone vibrating, and when I look at the caller ID I smile. I turn down the music and hit answer.

"Happy birthday, Juliet! Do you feel legal yet?" Rafe jokes on the other side of the phone, and I giggle in response.

"Thanks, Romeo. Everything feels more... adult. I don't know," I say, shaking my head in embarrassment over my lack of an explanation.  I look over at JJ to see him looking at me, confused as to who 'Romeo' is.

"I hope you're getting treated like royalty today. I'm  just calling to remind you about your promise," Rafe says, and I smile.

"I'll keep my promise. I'll be there as soon as I can tonight," I reply, excited about hanging out with Rafe after so long.

"Good girl," he says, and I bite my lip. That was undeniably hot. "I can't wait to see you."

I smile, "I can't wait either."

"I gotta go take care of something real quick. Call me later?" he asks.

I nod before remembering he can't see me. "Okie dokie. I'll see you later, Rafe," I say before hanging up. I look over at JJ, who is now looking angrily at the road and holding the steering wheel tight. Maybe I shouldn't have answered the phone.

"You're hanging out with the kook prince tonight?" he asks, disapproval clear in his voice.

"With Rafe, yes. I promised him I'd come over," I admit, knowing JJ is about to be angry. JJ hates kooks, but JJ absolutely despises Rafe on another level.

"He's a fucking psychopath, Olivia. He's not good for you," he insists, finally turning to look at me.

"If he's not good for me then who is?" I ask, looking right back at him. I start nodding my head when he doesn't say anything, "that's what I thought. Until you can come up with a guy that is 'good' for me, then stay out of this," I say, earning a scoff from him.

JJ looks away, turns the music up loud, and plays the silence game.

The rest of the ride to wherever he's taking me is silent. We're both beyond annoyed with each other, and God knows an argument is coming. I look out the window when I realize where we're at.

I turn down the music and look at JJ, letting my attitude go away. "You remembered," is all I say.

"You told me once that when you turned 18 this is the first place you wanted to go," he replies, still not looking at me.