50. Night Swimming

JJ and I walk outside, my hand wrapped around his arm as we stand next to the group. Everyone moved to sit around the fire pit, John B feeding the fire with wood. The sun is beginning to set, and I take a moment to enjoy the view of the water as the sun is setting before I'm brought back to reality.

"We're gonna head out," JJ announces, and I roll my eyes at him for not giving an excuse for why we're leaving so soon.

"I've had a really long day and I need sleep," I add, looking up at JJ as I try to hide my smile at the thought of the real reason we want to leave.

"But you guys just got here?" Kie says, looking at us confused.

"And you took a 2-hour nap earlier," Sarah says, the two girls looking at one another as they realize what's going on.

"You just want to leave to have sex! You guys suck," Kie says, pouting her lips.

I feel my cheeks turn red as everyone's eyes are on us. "No, you're not allowed to leave. Sit your asses down," John B says. He stands up and pulls me away from JJ, making me sit next to him.

I look at JJ and shrug my shoulders. "Let's just stay," I say, to which he agrees. He sits next to Pope, starting a conversation about a new video game. Sarah and Kie are sat next to each other talking about turtles, so I turn to John B. "Sooo how have you been?" I ask, smiling at my brother.

"I feel like I should be asking you that," John B says, smiling nervously at me.

"I'm doing great, honestly. Everyday gets a little easier," I say, knowing he's talking about the baby and how deeply that experience affected me. "Now tell me, how are you?" I ask again.

"Things with Sarah are going great, we still have a few more weeks of summer, and all my friends are happy. Plus my sister is finally herself again, so I'm pretty fucking great," he says, smiling at me and nudging my shoulder playfully.

"That was so wholesome," I say, smiling at John B then leaning my head against his shoulder.

"How are you and JJ? Is he treating you right?" John B asks, concern in his voice.

"We're amazing. Things between us finally feel normal again. I'm really happy," I say, feeling my face turn red as I think about JJ. I move my eyes to him, catching his gaze. I smile at him, to which he smiles back.

"You know if that ever changes you can come to me right? I'll kill him with his own gun if he hurts you," John B says, and I laugh.

"I know I know," I say while rolling my eyes at him.

"We should have a sibling bonding day again. It's been a while," John B says. "And honestly, I miss you. You basically live with JJ so I never get to see you anymore," he adds.

I look at John B and notice his sad expression. I tussle his hair and hug him from the side. "Aww, you love me!" I say, smiling as John B's frown changes to a smile. "I'll sleep at the Chateau tonight and we can make tomorrow a sibling bonding day. Sound good?" I suggest, and John B nods. He begins to say something when JJ interrupts.

"Attention fellow pogues!" JJ yells, getting everyone's attention. We all turn to look at him, watching as he stands up and uses his hands to talk dramatically. "I propose we go night swimming," he suggests.

John B stands up beside me and agrees. "That's the best idea you've had in years," he says.

I laugh and stand up next to John B and flash JJ a smile. "I think he's had some good ideas recently," I say, blushing as JJ winks at me. He moves to stand by me, lacing his fingers with mine.