~3~

Back to the present~

Evan's POV

The cast takes their final bows. They motion to the tech booth, then backstage, and bow one last time. 

I stand up, applauding. Though it's sort of difficult to clap with a cast over one hand. 

The curtains close and everybody makes their way out the doors. 

The show was amazing. And he was amazing. 

Should I try to talk to him? No he'll think that's weird. Well then again you kind of already led with the worst part of you. He met you when you were a complete mess. So it's not even possible for you to make things worse by talking to him. Might as well  just screw it up some more. 

I wait for Connor outside the auditorium. I stand there awkwardly playing with the hem of my shirt. 

Ok what can I say to him? "Hey Connor! Remember when you saw me jump off a tree and break my arm? That was fun." No. Nope. Not doing that. How about... "Hi. It's Evan. Loved your performance just now."  Oh my god you're not leaving him a voicemail for christ's sake. Why are you so bad at this?  

Connor turns around the corner of the hallway. 

Shit. Just be cool. Not like you've ever done that in your entire life.

"H-hey C-Connor," I managed.

I caught his attention. "Evan!" he said, a smile spreading across his face. "Thanks for coming to the show. I didn't know you liked musical theatre!"

"Y-Yeah I lo-loved the show i-it w-was incrazing."

You imbecile. Never try to say two words at once. Just say incredible or say amazing. Not both, dumbass.

He laughs. "Uh, thanks? "

"I-I'm sorry. ImeanttosayincredibleandamazingbutinsteadIsaidbothI'msosorry." I say quickly.

 "You don't have to apologize."

"Sorry."

"You did it again," he smiles.

"S-sorry." 

Stop saying it!

"I-I'll just sh-shut up"

"Don't worry. It's cute," he responds.

My already red face turns as bright as strawberry.

Wait what? What does that mean? He's probably just being sarcastic or something. Right?

Connors POV

Was that too forward? He looks so embarrassed. Fuck that was the wrong move. I don't know if he's even gay or bi or anything. Well... my gaydar is tingling but-

"Uh th-th-thanks," Evan says cautiously, almost as a question but not quite. 

Oh. Okay. 

"Hey, looks like no one's signed your cast yet," I say. 

He looks down at it and frowns. "Y-yeah no-"

"I'll sign it."

His face lights up. "You-you will?"

"Of course," I respond.  

He pulls out a sharpie from his back pocket and I wonder how he happened to have it on him. He extends his arm hesitantly, offering me the marker. 

I take it and reach for his arm. I sign my name in big letters taking up the whole front side of the cast.

Wow you really marked him as yours, did ya? 

"Th-thanks," he says cheerfully. "W-w-would you w-wanna m-maybe e-exchange phone numbers o-or s-so-something t-to um t-text a-and stuff?"

Wait. Did the Evan Hansen just ask for my number?? 

I internally squeal. I can't believe it.

"I-I'm s-so sorry that w-was super w-weird I-I don't know why I-"

"No no no," I cut him off. "I'd love to!" A goofy smile spread across my face. 

Calm down, Murphy it's just a phone number. But it's also Evan freaking Hansen's phone number!!! Ok but he might mean it as a friend or something. Still, aaaaaaah I'm so happy!

I add Evan's contact under the name "Treeboi" and give him my number.  I'm so tempted to add every heart emoji there is to the name but I don't want Zoe getting in to my phone and seeing that. Also emojis are kinda cringe.

Evan sees the time on his phone as he enters the contact. "Oh. I-I have t-to go. Um, b-bye! T-text ya l-later." 

"Bye!" I respond. As he turns to leave, he shoots me finger guns. I see him mutter something under his breath and facepalm as he walks away.

I let out a giggle. 

I just got Evan Hansen's number. 

A/N ~ Does anyone have any ideas for Connor's name in Evan's phone for next chapter? I'll take any suggestions.