Chapter Twelve

You couldn't just sit around and wait while Rafe and your brother went after JJ

You couldn't just sit around and wait while Rafe and your brother went after JJ. Plus, even if JJ didn't say anything you were involved. You housed him the night of the robbery. Just the fact you even knew about it.

Before you could make it out the door Becca stopped you.

"Does everyone just hangout here," You muttered to yourself.

"Have you seen Top?" She asked with a frown.

"Is that really why you stopped me?" You looked at her.

"I just haven't heard from him and we had a date scheduled for tonight-"

"I have to go. I'm sorry," You hopped in your car and headed to the Cut.

When you pulled in John B's driveway your eyes instantly darted to Topper's parked car. You ran to the front door. The sound of glass shattering on the floor was all you needed as a sign to go in. JJ was on the kitchen floor as Rafe kicked his ribs over and over shouting. Topper had JJ's backpack and was dumping it all over the floor.

"Stop!" You screamed running over to JJ.

Rafe and Topper were caught off guard by your presence. Topper came over to you and picked you up trying to drag you away from JJ.

"Stay out of it Y/N," Topper pulled you.

"He didn't do it Rafe!" You shouted. "Trust me!"

"What do you see in this nobody, Y/N?" Rafe kicked him again. "It's pathetic at this point."

JJ tried to get up and fight back. Rafe would play with him by letting him get up a bit just to push him back down. You were in tears.

"He was with me that night. He was staying the night with me Rafe," You blurted out.

Rafe froze. You couldn't tell if he was angry or jealous. Maybe both. Topper let go of you.

"Is that true?" Rafe looked at Topper.

"I didn't see him," Topper didn't believe anything you had to say.

"Ask Mom. She found his shirt in my room today," That set them both off.

Rafe stormed out of the house not knowing what to say. Topper followed after him like a lost puppy leaving just you and JJ. You helped him off the floor and looked around for a med kit or anything really. You managed to find rubbing alcohol and bandaids.

"Playing nurse again. Huh?" JJ smirked.

"Is the money really worth all this?" You adverted his comment.

"You don't understand," He sighed.

"Help me understand," You poured rubbing alcohol on the wounds causing him to flinch.

He sighed and took a breath.

"Last year when I helped John B escape, I gave him my Dad's boat. When my Dad found out he was furious of course. I knew he would be. I figured when John B came back I could just give him the boat back. When they were fleeing the cops chased them into a storm that destroyed the boat. The boat turned up in pieces but my best friend never turned up," JJ started tearing up.

"JJ-"

"Anyway... I owe my Dad the money for the boat," He wiped the tears from his eyes.

You finished putting the last bandaid on and hugged him. He wrapped his arms around you tightly. You stood like that for a few minutes in each other's arms. It was silent but comfortable. He pulled away and led you out back to the hammocks. You sat next to him while he lit a much needed blunt.

JJ took the last drag and you laid on top of him. You were still in the hammock. You ended up falling asleep to him drawing circles with his finger on your back. He dozed off shortly after with his arms wrapped around you.